The second Regional Military Command ( Kodam II ) Sriwijaya commander Maj. Gen. Nugroho Widyotomo is scheduled to attend the first trial of several military personnel who were allegedly involved in the arson attack on the Ogan Komering Ulu ( OKU ) police headquarters in Baturaja, South Sumatra, on Thursday.
Kodam II Sriwijaya spokesperson Col. Arm. Jauhari Agus Suraji said as quoted by Antara news agency on Wednesday that the first trial concerning the OKU clash, which occurred on March 7, would be conducted at Kodam II Sriwijaya's military court, on Thursday.
A janitor died and four police officers sustained injuries during the clash that affected 90 percent of the OKU police station.
Jauhari said the OKU clash documents had been completed and the case was ready for trial. The trial would be open to the public so that people could understand the case, he went on.
Jauhari added Kodam II Sriwijaya wanted to impose maximum discipline on its personnel and had decided to make the trial on the OKU clash open to the public.
Apart from the Kodam II Sriwijaya commander, South Sumatra Police chief Insp. Gen. Saud Usman Nasution will also attend the first trial.
As reported earlier, soldiers from the military command's 15/76 Field Artillery Battalion ( Yon Armed ) staged a rally at the OKU police headquarters. They demanded that heavy punishment be imposed on traffic policeman Brig.Wijaya, for shooting soldier First Pvt. Heru Oktavianus dead over a traffic violation.
The rally ended with the arson attack that burned the police headquarters, 70 motorcycles and nine cars.
Kodam II Sriwijaya's military police detachment named 20 suspects in the clash. ( nai/ebf )