Lin Dan, Simon pull out of Indonesia Open
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta Post
China's two-time Olympic champion Lin Dan and Indonesia's two-time Southeast Asian Games gold medalist Simon Santoso have withdrawn from the 2013 Djarum Super Indonesia Open, which will be held at Istora Senayan, Jakarta on June 10-16, due to injuries.
'I injured myself during the Badminton Asia Championship and have not fully recovered. After playing the preliminary rounds of the China National Games, I found myself not in the best condition for tournaments and I want to focus on recuperating for the World Championship in August,' Lin Dan said as quoted by Antara news wire.
He has also withdrawn from the Li-ning Singapore Open being held from June 18-23.
According to the Indonesia Badminton Association (PBSI) head of development and achievement Rexy Mainaki, Simon has withdrawn from the Indonesia Open due to a hip injury.
He has also withdrawn from the two BWF Superseries tournaments.
'He will be grounded for three months,' Rexy told The Jakarta Post via text message on Sunday.
Had 29-year-old Lin Dan not withdrawn from the Indonesia Open he would have faced either Indonesia's 2004 Olympic gold medalist Taufik Hidayat or world number one Malaysia's Lee Chong Wei in the early rounds of the
Lin Dan's world ranking has slipped from number 2 to 68 after his eight-month hiatus from international badminton tournaments.
His last achievement was winning the gold medal at the London Olympics in August 2012.
After skipping the two superseries tournaments, Lin Dan is expected to make a comeback at the World Championships in Guangzhou, China, in August.
China will be represented by four players ' second seed and reigning All-England champion Chen Long, Du Pengyu, Wang Zhengming and Chen Yuekun.
Indonesia's hopes are pinned on number one mixed doubles pair Tontowi Ahmad and Liliyana Natsir ' who brought home the All-England title for the second time in March ' and men's doubles Angga Pratama and Ryan Agung Saputra ' who won the Australia Open and the New Zealand Open in April.
The tournament ' which previously offered US$650,000 in prizes ' will see 220 players from 23 countries, including Lee Chong Wei and Taufik Hidayat, compete for $700,000.
You might also like :
- Crystal meth from Malaysia seized in Riau Islands
- Indonesia's tough stance causes headache for tuna exporters
- Indonesia ready for Freeport tribunal
- Millenials ask Jokowi questions, their way
- Ministry to scrap expiry date for SIUP, TDP
- BNN shoots dead drug trafficker in Medan
- Madiun mayor charged with multiple counts of graft
- Indonesian coconut enjoys sweet spot in Hungary
- Rampant corruption in villages caused by incompetence: ICW
- Hizbut Tahrir rejects rules on Friday sermons