Rabble-rouser gripes at peace mission
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta Post
The Islam Defenders Front (FPI) spokesman Munarman on Wednesday criticized a trip by Golkar Party lawmaker Tantowi Yahya to Israel.
Munarman said that, by making the trip, Tantowi had ignored Palestinian Muslims suffering under what he called Israeli imperialism.
'The State Constitution clearly stipulates our stance against imperialism and we must take concrete action to oppose it, by not visiting Israel for any reason,' Munarman said as quoted by tribunnews.com.
Munarman said that rather than visiting Israel, Tantowi should have gone to the Gaza Strip where Palestinians are persecuted.
Tantowi confirmed that he had been to Israel with members of the national media and a number of Muslim intellectuals.
The visit was to directly observe the peace process between Israel and Palestine. Munarman, a former rights campaigner, is well known for his controversial statements.
He was recently dropped by the United Development Party from its list of legislative candidates.
Golkar Party executive Hajriyanto Tohari said that the party central board knew nothing about Tantowi's visit.
You might also like :
- Nudist beach surfer punches shark to escape attack
- West Jakarta early childhood school dismantled in front of students
- Three expat teachers detained in Balikpapan for visa violations
- Saudi Arabia admits Khashoggi killed in Istanbul consulate
- Gay couple arrested in Bandung as anti-LGBT wave grips W. Java
- Trump: Saudi explanation of Khashoggi death credible, 'important first step'
- US 'saddened' Saudi journalist dead, no mention of action
- Indonesia attracts buyers at Hamburg COTECA trade expo
- Extend odd-even policy
- Plastic piling up in Japan after China waste ban: Survey