Ahmad Dhani to pay compensation to crash victims
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta Post
Musician Ahmad Dhani, whose youngest son has been named a suspect in Sunday's deadly pile-up that killed six people, has promised that he will give compensation to the families of the victims.
'I have met the families and they are willing to find a resolution,' he said on Monday. 'They have asked for compensation for, among other things, to help pay for the education of the victims' children.'
He said he would sign an agreement with them 'because I can afford their demands'.
Ahmad Abdul Qodir Jaelani, 13, popularly known as Dul, was driving a Mitsubishi Lancer from Bogor, West Java, to Jakarta early on Sunday, when his car hit a road separator and slammed into oncoming traffic. The sedan hit a Daihatsu Gran Max minivan, which in turn hit a Toyota Avanza minivan. Six out of the 13 people onboard the Gran Max minivan died at the scene, while seven others were injured. Two people onboard the Avanza minivan were not hurt, while Dul and his friend, Noval Samudra, 14, suffered serious injuries and lost consciousness.
Jakarta Police Traffic Directorate deputy chief Adj. Sr. Comr Sambodo Purnomo told reporters on Tuesday that the police had summoned Dul's parents, Dhani and his ex-wife Maia Estianty, as witnesses.
'However, Dhani and Maia can't be questioned today because they are still visiting the families of the victims,' he said, adding that Dhani and Maia were scheduled to be questioned on Wednesday.
According to Sambodo, Dul could be charged under the 2009 Law on land transportation and traffic controls with a maximum punishment of six years in prison.
Meanwhile, National Commission on Child Protection (Komnas PA) chairman Arist Merdeka Sirait said that cases involving children such as Dul should refer to the 2012 Law on the juvenile justice system.
He said that according to the law, there should be a diversion in the juvenile justice system to prevent juvenile convicts from losing their rights and independence.
'The diversion is aimed at looking for an out-of-the-court solution to juvenile cases and to facilitate reconciliation with the victims,' he said.
Sambodo explained that the law would be implemented in July next year, therefore in the meantime, the police would have to use the existing Law No. 3/1997 on Juvenile Court and Law No. 23/2002 on child protection.
'According to the Child Protection Law, Dul, if found guilty, will get half the maximum sentence of six years in prison as he is still underage,' Sambodo said.
He added that according to Article 235 of the Traffic and Transportation Law, Dul or his family was responsible for the victims' medical and funeral expenses as well as compensation.
'This accident should be a lesson for all parents,' he said, adding that the police could not handle underage driving problems without the help of parents.
'In 2012, the police arrested 17,000 underage motorists, while in the first half of this year we arrested more than 8,000,' he said, adding that the numbers reflected how many parents had allowed their underage children to drive. National Police Commission (Kompolnas) member Adrianus Meliala said that the police should be fair and not provide any special treatment for Dul.
'If the police gave such special treatment to Dul, there would be no deterrent effect for celebrities or people with political power and a lot of money,' he said. (ian)
You might also like :
- Death toll in Marawi could rise 'significantly': Military
- Pay-as-you-wish museum trips offered to Idul Fitri holidaymakers
- Government to flood market with frozen buffalo meat
- XL Axiata records 218% increase in data services
- 152 sent home after undergoing deradicalization program
- Myanmar journalists charged, held in jail for covering armed group
- Police closely monitor Syria returnees after IS-linked attack in Medan
- Ragunan Zoo to monitor animals for stress
- 17 new routes opened at AP II airports so far this year
- Obama, entourage arrive in Yogyakarta