Ahok may be transferred to Cipinang prison
The Jakarta Post
Plans have been made to transfer former Jakarta governor Basuki “Ahok” Tjahaja Purnama to the infamous Cipinang penitentiary in East Jakarta, according to an official from the North Jakarta Prosecutors’ Office.
Preparations to move Ahok started after his lawyers and prosecutors retracted their appeal against Ahok’s two-year prison sentence for blasphemy.
“Normally, [Ahok would be transferred to] Cipinang. There has not been any other directive from general prosecutors,” said head of the North Jakarta Prosecutors’ Office’s General Crimes Unit, Dicky Oktavia, as quoted by kompas.com.
However, he added that Ahok could still be moved to a different prison amid security concerns. The final decision would be made after the Prosecutors' Office received a ruling from the Jakarta High Court on the withdrawal of the appeals, which would officially make the verdict final and binding.
“The security is indeed our concern,” Dicky said.
Deputy Djakarta Governor Djarot Saiful Hidayat is sworn in as Jakarta governor at the State Palace on Thursday. (JP/Anton Hermansyah)
Newly-inaugurated Governor Djarot Saiful Hidayat, who took the seat after Ahok was found guilty of blasphemy, previously said he hoped his former superior would not be taken to Cipinang due to the condition of the prison, which is deemed overcrowded.
Reports previously said there were threats to harm Ahok from Cipinang prisoners.
Ahok is currently being detained at the Mobile Brigade Command detention center (Mako Brimob) in Kelapa Dua, Depok, West Java. (fac/bbs)
- New Terrorism Law no silver bullet, says rights researcher
- Muslim inmates fed pork during Ramadhan: Activists
- Another phreatic eruption reported at Mt. Merapi
- Global warming may have 'devastating' effects on rice: Study
- Minibus driver used Facebook before deadly crash: reports
- Government is representation of God on earth: State Palace official
- BTS’ new album shows what truly matters
- Costly holiday
- France arrests two spies for passing secrets to China
- China fines Muji for packaging that lists Taiwan as a country