Sandiaga says he wants to visit Ahok in detention
The Jakarta Post
Jakarta deputy governor-elect Sandiaga Uno says he wishes to visit former Jakarta governor Basuki "Ahok" Tjahaja Purnama at the National Police's Mobile Brigade detention center in Depok, West Java
Ahok has been detained since May 9 after the North Jakarta District Court found him guilty of blasphemy in what many believe to be a politicized case aimed at bringing about his defeat in Jakarta's recent gubernatorial election.
"If his family and lawyers let me, I want to visit Ahok," Sandiaga said on Friday, as quoted by tribunnews.com.
Sandiaga said he hoped to visit Ahok during Ramadhan.
Sandiaga added that he was currently trying to communicate with newly inaugurated Jakarta Governor Djarot Saiful Hidayat to meet and congratulate him on his new position. (cal)
- North Jakarta court jails men for two years over 'gay sex party'
- Bali remains most popular destination for Middle Eastern tourists
- SHINee’s Jonghyun dies in hospital
- Mount Agung not a threat, let’s go to Bali: Minister
- Taeyang, Min Hyo-rin to tie the knot in early 2018
- Golkar kicks off national meeting to inaugurate Airlangga
- Bali prepares complimentary transportation, rooms if Mt. Agung erupts
- Jakarta nightclubs targeted following drug raids
- Milk, mackerel to be part of Jakarta food subsidy program
- Jakarta to procure more emissions test equipment