Visiting Ahok: Djarot’s first day as Jakarta governor
Ivany Atina Arbi
The Jakarta Post
The first item on Djarot Saiful Hidayat’s agenda as newly inaugurated Jakarta governor on Thursday was to visit his predecessor, Basuki “Ahok” Tjahaja Purnama at the latter’s detention cell in Depok, West Java.
“After all, what happened [to me] today is not separate from Pak Ahok’s statesmanship. [He] prioritized the interests of others [over his own],” said Djarot, who would hold his post as governor until October.
Djarot said that he would visit Ahok, currently detained at the National Police's Mobile Brigade (Brimob) Command Center in Kelapa Dua, Depok, West Java, to discuss a range of issues related to the city administration.
Djarot has visited Ahok at least three times since the latter was detained for blasphemy in early May.
Djarot, who was accompanied by his wife Happy Farida, had gone straight to City Hall after being inaugurated by President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo at the State Palace in Central Jakarta.
- North Jakarta court jails men for two years over 'gay sex party'
- Bali remains most popular destination for Middle Eastern tourists
- SHINee’s Jonghyun dies in hospital
- Mount Agung not a threat, let’s go to Bali: Minister
- Taeyang, Min Hyo-rin to tie the knot in early 2018
- Golkar kicks off national meeting to inaugurate Airlangga
- Bali prepares complimentary transportation, rooms if Mt. Agung erupts
- Jakarta nightclubs targeted following drug raids
- Milk, mackerel to be part of Jakarta food subsidy program
- Jakarta to procure more emissions test equipment