Visiting Ahok: Djarot’s first day as Jakarta governor
Ivany Atina Arbi
The Jakarta Post
The first item on Djarot Saiful Hidayat’s agenda as newly inaugurated Jakarta governor on Thursday was to visit his predecessor, Basuki “Ahok” Tjahaja Purnama at the latter’s detention cell in Depok, West Java.
“After all, what happened [to me] today is not separate from Pak Ahok’s statesmanship. [He] prioritized the interests of others [over his own],” said Djarot, who would hold his post as governor until October.
Djarot said that he would visit Ahok, currently detained at the National Police's Mobile Brigade (Brimob) Command Center in Kelapa Dua, Depok, West Java, to discuss a range of issues related to the city administration.
Djarot has visited Ahok at least three times since the latter was detained for blasphemy in early May.
Djarot, who was accompanied by his wife Happy Farida, had gone straight to City Hall after being inaugurated by President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo at the State Palace in Central Jakarta.
- Three former presidents join Jokowi to celebrate Independence Day
- Jokowi praises Jakarta for Semanggi interchange
- Ahok, other prisoners barred from Independence Day event
- Eleven teens suspected in prostitution ring
- UGM tops RI university ranking
- Jokowi inaugurates new Semanggi overpass on Independence Day
- SEA Games: Indonesia beats Philippines 3-0
- China gets tough on long, odd company names
- SBY attends ceremony at State Palace
- KPK gets new information on flow of funds in e-ID graft