Nasdem lawmaker reported to police over caliphate remarks
The Jakarta Post
The head of the Nasdem faction at the House of Representatives, Viktor Bungtilu Laiskodat, has been reported to the National Police’s criminal investigation department (Bareskrim) for allegedly defaming the Gerindra Party.
Viktor was reported by Gerindra executive Iwan Sumule on Friday for delivering a speech in Kupang, East Nusa Tenggara, that allegedly included sectarian content.
“I report this as an individual and as a member of Gerindra, without any instruction from my party” Iwan said, as quoted by Antara.
Iwan claimed to have video footage of Viktor telling his constituents that Gerindra, the Prosperous Justice Party (PKS), the Democratic Party and the National Mandate Party supported Islamic extremism.
He even allegedly accused the four parties of supporting the creation of an Islamic caliphate.
Iwan said that Viktor’s statement in the video could potentially provoke anger among Muslims in various regions.
- ‘I’m just ordinary man now’: Setya collects debts from friends to pay restitutio...
- Sri Lanka train kills mother elephant, two calves
- Trump hits China with tariffs on another $200b in goods
- Florence death toll jumps to 31 as flooding wreaks havoc
- Prosecutors call for Jambi rape victim to be punished to deter abortion
- Indonesia must improve its e-government
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- BTS to appear on ‘America’s Got Talent’
- Payment of 'uang ketok palu' is tradition, councilors admit to corruption court
- Indian bishop accused of raping nun steps aside as arrest calls grow