Nasdem lawmaker reported to police over caliphate remarks
The Jakarta Post
The head of the Nasdem faction at the House of Representatives, Viktor Bungtilu Laiskodat, has been reported to the National Police’s criminal investigation department (Bareskrim) for allegedly defaming the Gerindra Party.
Viktor was reported by Gerindra executive Iwan Sumule on Friday for delivering a speech in Kupang, East Nusa Tenggara, that allegedly included sectarian content.
“I report this as an individual and as a member of Gerindra, without any instruction from my party” Iwan said, as quoted by Antara.
Iwan claimed to have video footage of Viktor telling his constituents that Gerindra, the Prosperous Justice Party (PKS), the Democratic Party and the National Mandate Party supported Islamic extremism.
He even allegedly accused the four parties of supporting the creation of an Islamic caliphate.
Iwan said that Viktor’s statement in the video could potentially provoke anger among Muslims in various regions.
- Barack Obama returns to the political arena
- Survey finds Jakarta among world’s worst for women
- Marinda airport in Raja Ampat set to become international airport
- More drug dealers to be shot dead: BNN chief
- Across Asia, liver cancer is linked to herbal remedies: Study
- Airline, bank reach for the sky with e-money
- EDITORIAL: Jokowi grows on the job
- Preventing osteoporosis: How to boost bone health
- North Jakarta group cancels Alexis Hotel protest
- Philippines to reject EU aid: Duterte