Nasdem lawmaker reported to police over caliphate remarks
The Jakarta Post
The head of the Nasdem faction at the House of Representatives, Viktor Bungtilu Laiskodat, has been reported to the National Police’s criminal investigation department (Bareskrim) for allegedly defaming the Gerindra Party.
Viktor was reported by Gerindra executive Iwan Sumule on Friday for delivering a speech in Kupang, East Nusa Tenggara, that allegedly included sectarian content.
“I report this as an individual and as a member of Gerindra, without any instruction from my party” Iwan said, as quoted by Antara.
Iwan claimed to have video footage of Viktor telling his constituents that Gerindra, the Prosperous Justice Party (PKS), the Democratic Party and the National Mandate Party supported Islamic extremism.
He even allegedly accused the four parties of supporting the creation of an Islamic caliphate.
Iwan said that Viktor’s statement in the video could potentially provoke anger among Muslims in various regions.
- A father’s love: Wiranto explains why his daughter wears niqab
- BLACKPINK’s Jennie sets records with ‘Solo’ videos
- Jokowi won't grant Nuril amnesty
- Ed Sheeran on BTS: ‘I think they are great’
- 6 kg of garbage found in dead whale's stomach in Wakatobi
- Indonesia's latest economic stimulus package: What you need to know
- Indonesia mosques spreading radicalism to government workers: Official
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- AirAsia to move international operations to Soekarno-Hatta airport Terminal 2
- Palm oil industry calls on govt to take 'firm' action against Greenpeace