Nasdem lawmaker reported to police over caliphate remarks
The Jakarta Post
The head of the Nasdem faction at the House of Representatives, Viktor Bungtilu Laiskodat, has been reported to the National Police’s criminal investigation department (Bareskrim) for allegedly defaming the Gerindra Party.
Viktor was reported by Gerindra executive Iwan Sumule on Friday for delivering a speech in Kupang, East Nusa Tenggara, that allegedly included sectarian content.
“I report this as an individual and as a member of Gerindra, without any instruction from my party” Iwan said, as quoted by Antara.
Iwan claimed to have video footage of Viktor telling his constituents that Gerindra, the Prosperous Justice Party (PKS), the Democratic Party and the National Mandate Party supported Islamic extremism.
He even allegedly accused the four parties of supporting the creation of an Islamic caliphate.
Iwan said that Viktor’s statement in the video could potentially provoke anger among Muslims in various regions.
- Contract to be extended to 2041 as Freeport agrees to divest 51% shares
- Indonesian N219 aircraft succeeds in first test flight
- Soekarno-Hatta airport’s skytrain begins trial operation
- Put on some weight, says politician to Jokowi in prayer
- Jokowi declares graft war in front House members, Setya
- Studio Ghibli goes into full production for new Hayao Miyazaki film
- Jokowi wears traditional attire during annual state of the nation address
- EDITORIAL: Forever young Indonesia
- What not to do in North Korea
- Jokowi maintains merciless stance on drug dealers