Nasdem lawmaker reported to police over caliphate remarks
The Jakarta Post
The head of the Nasdem faction at the House of Representatives, Viktor Bungtilu Laiskodat, has been reported to the National Police’s criminal investigation department (Bareskrim) for allegedly defaming the Gerindra Party.
Viktor was reported by Gerindra executive Iwan Sumule on Friday for delivering a speech in Kupang, East Nusa Tenggara, that allegedly included sectarian content.
“I report this as an individual and as a member of Gerindra, without any instruction from my party” Iwan said, as quoted by Antara.
Iwan claimed to have video footage of Viktor telling his constituents that Gerindra, the Prosperous Justice Party (PKS), the Democratic Party and the National Mandate Party supported Islamic extremism.
He even allegedly accused the four parties of supporting the creation of an Islamic caliphate.
Iwan said that Viktor’s statement in the video could potentially provoke anger among Muslims in various regions.
- Facebook post pushes Norway government to the brink of collapse
- Jokowi gives green light for indigenous people bill deliberation
- Fatal accident on West Java toll road claims six lives
- Putin on track for commanding win as Russians head to polls
- Iron block falls at apartment project site in S. Jakarta, killing one
- Trump attacks fairness of Mueller probe
- Kevin and Marcus reach thriller All England final
- Opposition, NGO cry fraud in Russian polls
- UGM students sent to Asmat
- French language eyes 'le comeback' as Britain leaves Europe