NTB governor, Central Lombok regent get Baznas Awards
The Jakarta Post
West Nusa Tenggara (NTB) Governor Muhammad Zainul Majdi has received the 2017 Baznas Award for Best Governor, while Central Lombok Regent Suhaili Fadil Tohir wins in the Best Regent category.
The awards were given by the National Zakat Agency (Baznas) to local leaders and corporations considered active and consistent in promoting zakat (Islamic alms).
NTB provincial administration spokesman Irnadi said the awards were presented by Home Ministry secretary-general Yuswandi A. Temenggung and Baznas chairman Bambang Sudibyo at the Religious Affairs Ministry in Jakarta on Friday.
“Governor Zainul has shown commitment to promoting Baznas’s programs in NTB,” Irnadi said in Mataram on Saturday.
Bambang said he hoped the awards could motivate other regional leaders and corporations to support zakat nationwide. (bbs)
- Own up to mass Muslim detentions, Amnesty tells China
- Indonesian teenager survives 49 days adrift in Guam waters
- Mount Anak Krakatau erupts, ‘caution’ status maintained
- Insight: New development pathway for Indonesia
- Flights not yet affected by Mt. Anak Krakatau eruption, authorities say
- Journalist murdered in Mexico, ninth of 2018
- Huawei gives free power banks to people queuing for new iPhone
- Nike-Kaepernick: A marriage of ideals?
- Brotherhood chief, 65 others get life for Egypt attack
- Death of Persija fan at hands of Persib hooligans sparks outrage