Kudus bus accident death toll rises to 5
The Jakarta Post
The death toll from a fatal multi-vehicle road accident in Kudus regency, Central Java, has risen to five. A victim passed away on Thursday night at the Mardi Rahayu Hospital in Kudus, several hours after he was admitted.
Four people were initially found dead while at least 43 were injured when a speeding bus full of passengers failed to stop at a red light in Proliman Tanjung, Jati, on Thursday at around 6:30 p.m.
The bus veered to the left, hitting at least three cars and seven motorcycle before it eventually rolled over and stopped.
The bus had reportedly departed from Surabaya, East Java, for the Central Java provincial capital of Semarang.
It was at least the second fatal road accident in Central Java in three days.
An officer from the Kudus Police traffic unit, First Insp. Ngatmin, confirmed the bus had been speeding but the cause of the accident was still being investigated.
The bodies of the dead victims were taken to Mardi Rahayu, while the injured victims were rushed to either Mardi Rahayu or the Kudus Regional Public Hospital.
Fatal crash: Residents gather at the location of a multi-vehicle collision on Jl. Raya Soekarno-Hatta KM 32, Bawen, Semarang regency, Central Java, on Aug.29. (Antara/Aditya Pradana Putra)
Two days earlier, five people died in a collision involving three trucks and several motorcycles on the Semarang-Bawen highway, Central Java.
The multi-vehicle collision occurred when the driver of a container truck, traveling at high speed on a downhill sloping road from Bawen to Semarang, lost control of the vehicle. (dra/bbs)
- BLACKPINK’s Jennie sets records with ‘Solo’ videos
- A father’s love: Wiranto explains why his daughter wears niqab
- Jokowi won't grant Nuril amnesty
- Indonesia mosques spreading radicalism to government workers: Official
- Indonesia's latest economic stimulus package: What you need to know
- AirAsia to move international operations to Soekarno-Hatta airport Terminal 2
- 6 kg of garbage found in dead whale's stomach in Wakatobi
- Nissan’s Ghosn arrested over financial law violation
- Palm oil industry calls on govt to take 'firm' action against Greenpeace
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world