'Ojek' driver beaten up after crashing into couple in Depok
The Jakarta Post
An online ride-hailing driver, who was allegedly driving his motorcycle under influence, hit a couple riding a motorbike on Tuesday night and was then beaten by fellow ride-hailing drivers who were hanging out near the scene.
The accident took place on Jl. Nusantara, Depok, at around 7 p.m.. The couple suffered injuries and were taken directly to Bhakti Yudha hospital in Pancoran Mas, Depok.
“The online driver was speeding. Because he was drunk, he suddenly swerved and hit another motorbike being ridden by a man and his wife,” said a witness, Yonan, on Tuesday night, as quoted by tribunnews.com.
(Read also: Man burned to death for stealing mosque amplifiers)
The perpetrator claimed he was a military officer in an attempt to stop people from beating him, but as he could not prove it, they beat him even harder, Yonan added.
Depok Police Traffic Management Unit head First Inspector (Iptu) Joko said police were still examining the crime scene. The identities of the perpetrator and the victims have yet to be disclosed.
The driver is being held at Pancoran Mas police station to prevent further vigilante acts against him. (wnd/wit)
- Planning to travel this Ramadhan? Try these Muslim
- Dugong sellers thwarted in West Sulawesi
- List of moderate Islamic preachers needed: Scholar
- Malaysian playboy financier in cross
- Japan keeps word, gifts Akita dog to Russian skater Zagitova
- US warns Syria of 'firm' action over southern offensive
- Two Koreas’ leaders hold second summit: Cheong Wa Dae
- Teen suspect killed 6
- New lava flow crosses onto Hawaii geothermal plant property
- Rainbow flags and high heels: S. Korea holds debut drag parade