'Ojek' driver beaten up after crashing into couple in Depok
The Jakarta Post
An online ride-hailing driver, who was allegedly driving his motorcycle under influence, hit a couple riding a motorbike on Tuesday night and was then beaten by fellow ride-hailing drivers who were hanging out near the scene.
The accident took place on Jl. Nusantara, Depok, at around 7 p.m.. The couple suffered injuries and were taken directly to Bhakti Yudha hospital in Pancoran Mas, Depok.
“The online driver was speeding. Because he was drunk, he suddenly swerved and hit another motorbike being ridden by a man and his wife,” said a witness, Yonan, on Tuesday night, as quoted by tribunnews.com.
(Read also: Man burned to death for stealing mosque amplifiers)
The perpetrator claimed he was a military officer in an attempt to stop people from beating him, but as he could not prove it, they beat him even harder, Yonan added.
Depok Police Traffic Management Unit head First Inspector (Iptu) Joko said police were still examining the crime scene. The identities of the perpetrator and the victims have yet to be disclosed.
The driver is being held at Pancoran Mas police station to prevent further vigilante acts against him. (wnd/wit)
- Popular tourist sites in Bali safe amid tremors around Mount Agung
- Entrepreneur wants to put Indonesia on the world technology map
- 'Super malaria' spreading through SE Asia, poses global threat
- Bill Gates expresses regret over ‘Control+Alt+Delete’ button
- Court dismisses KPK’s objection in Setya’s pretrial hearing
- Mamma Mia! British star Colin Firth is now Italian
- Tourism minister officiates new diving center in Tanjung Lesung
- Car Free Day ineffective in reducing air pollution: Committee
- Travel fair to boost Garuda’s business
- Supermodel reunion at blockbuster Versace tribute in Milan