'Ojek' driver beaten up after crashing into couple in Depok
The Jakarta Post
An online ride-hailing driver, who was allegedly driving his motorcycle under influence, hit a couple riding a motorbike on Tuesday night and was then beaten by fellow ride-hailing drivers who were hanging out near the scene.
The accident took place on Jl. Nusantara, Depok, at around 7 p.m.. The couple suffered injuries and were taken directly to Bhakti Yudha hospital in Pancoran Mas, Depok.
“The online driver was speeding. Because he was drunk, he suddenly swerved and hit another motorbike being ridden by a man and his wife,” said a witness, Yonan, on Tuesday night, as quoted by tribunnews.com.
(Read also: Man burned to death for stealing mosque amplifiers)
The perpetrator claimed he was a military officer in an attempt to stop people from beating him, but as he could not prove it, they beat him even harder, Yonan added.
Depok Police Traffic Management Unit head First Inspector (Iptu) Joko said police were still examining the crime scene. The identities of the perpetrator and the victims have yet to be disclosed.
The driver is being held at Pancoran Mas police station to prevent further vigilante acts against him. (wnd/wit)
- Metro TV fires reporter connected to Setya
- Japan proposes to build new tracks for Jakarta-Surabaya railway: Minister
- Online exhibit shows hidden depths of Picasso's 'Guernica'
- End nears for Mugabe as ruling party turns against him
- Tourism Ministry to focus on developing four New Balis next year
- Commentary: Stop making jokes about Setya. It's not funny anymore.
- Macron's popularity recovers as French see him keeping promises
- Germany in political crisis as coalition talks collapse
- Boxer knocks out rival in 11 seconds
- UK aims for driverless cars by 2021