'Ojek' driver beaten up after crashing into couple in Depok
The Jakarta Post
An online ride-hailing driver, who was allegedly driving his motorcycle under influence, hit a couple riding a motorbike on Tuesday night and was then beaten by fellow ride-hailing drivers who were hanging out near the scene.
The accident took place on Jl. Nusantara, Depok, at around 7 p.m.. The couple suffered injuries and were taken directly to Bhakti Yudha hospital in Pancoran Mas, Depok.
“The online driver was speeding. Because he was drunk, he suddenly swerved and hit another motorbike being ridden by a man and his wife,” said a witness, Yonan, on Tuesday night, as quoted by tribunnews.com.
(Read also: Man burned to death for stealing mosque amplifiers)
The perpetrator claimed he was a military officer in an attempt to stop people from beating him, but as he could not prove it, they beat him even harder, Yonan added.
Depok Police Traffic Management Unit head First Inspector (Iptu) Joko said police were still examining the crime scene. The identities of the perpetrator and the victims have yet to be disclosed.
The driver is being held at Pancoran Mas police station to prevent further vigilante acts against him. (wnd/wit)
- BI investigates use of bitcoin in Bali
- Uber, Grab to adjust with new decree
- Indonesia expects to pass data protection bill in 2018
- President Jokowi purchases custom motorcycle, boosts local businesses
- Ed Sheeran announces engagement
- Sundance debuts dark tale of triplets split at birth
- Several Ukrainians among 18 dead in Taliban attack on Kabul hotel
- Man shot dead in night club's parking lot in Bogor
- Fashion brand celebrates third anniversary by cleaning Baduy tribal areas
- Two dead, seven injured in Prague hotel fire