Man burned to death for stealing mosque amplifiers
The Jakarta Post
A 30-year old man, identified only as MA, was burned to death after being accused of stealing three amplifier units from a mosque in Suka Tenang, Bekasi regency, West Java, on Tuesday.
MA was reportedly caught red-handed by village residents as he attempted to remove the amplifiers on Tuesday afternoon . He fled the scene, throwing himself into a nearby river separating Suka Tenang and Muara Bakti village.
However, as he reached Muara Bakti, other residents were waiting for him. They beat him before pouring gasoline over him and setting him on fire.
MA died at the scene. The body, with 80 percent burns, was taken to Kramat Jati Police Hospital in East Jakarta, said Bekasi Police chief Sr. Comr. Asep Adi Saputra.
Following the incident, the police seized the amplifiers along with a motorcycle suspected of belonging to MA.
“We must not commit vigilante attacks like this because Indonesia has laws to deal with crimes,” Asep said as quoted by tempo.co. (agn)
- Surakarta's 100-year-old palace wall collapses
- Jokowi inaugurates new Cabinet ministers
- EDITORIAL: Speak out Mr. Speaker
- In Chile, pope seeks forgiveness for sex abuse scandals
- Celine Dion's Jakarta concert ticket price reaches Rp 25m
- New Air Force chief to prioritize procurement of jet fighters
- AirAsia to move international flight operations to Soekarno-Hatta Terminal 3
- Tencent leads $51 million investment in Canadian startup Wattpad
- Samsung launches Galaxy A8, A8+ for millennials
- Sandiaga admits allowing ‘becak’ a political contract