Man burned to death for stealing mosque amplifiers
The Jakarta Post
A 30-year old man, identified only as MA, was burned to death after being accused of stealing three amplifier units from a mosque in Suka Tenang, Bekasi regency, West Java, on Tuesday.
MA was reportedly caught red-handed by village residents as he attempted to remove the amplifiers on Tuesday afternoon . He fled the scene, throwing himself into a nearby river separating Suka Tenang and Muara Bakti village.
However, as he reached Muara Bakti, other residents were waiting for him. They beat him before pouring gasoline over him and setting him on fire.
MA died at the scene. The body, with 80 percent burns, was taken to Kramat Jati Police Hospital in East Jakarta, said Bekasi Police chief Sr. Comr. Asep Adi Saputra.
Following the incident, the police seized the amplifiers along with a motorcycle suspected of belonging to MA.
“We must not commit vigilante attacks like this because Indonesia has laws to deal with crimes,” Asep said as quoted by tempo.co. (agn)
- PLN has signed contracts for power plants to generate 31,000 MW
- Anies, Sandiaga leave town
- 'Despacito' sweeps Latin Grammys -- and heads to Asia
- Journalist named suspect over traffic accident involving Setya Novanto
- Hundreds of residents escorted out of besieged Papuan villages
- Jokowi orders Setya to obey law
- Album Review: 'Reputation' by Taylor Swift
- Jakarta least tolerant city in Indonesia: human rights group
- Victoria's Secret gala hits snag in China as model pulls out
- Pertamina says fuel prices need to be increased