One killed, three injured in Nusakambangan prison clash
The Jakarta Post
One prisoner was killed and three others injured in a clash between inmates accused of terrorism and members of a prison gang led by convicted murderer John Kei, also known as John Refra, at Permisan Penitentiary on the Nusakambangan prison island, Cilacap, Central Java, on Tuesday.
Tumbur Bondy, the prisoner who was killed in the clash, was a member of the John Kei gang. John himself was also wounded in the incident.
“There was a fatality reported to have occurred during a clash on Tuesday. We are investigating people -- both prisoners and prison guards -- who witnessed the incident,” Cilacap Police chief Adj. Sr. Comr. Djoko Julianto told journalists on Wednesday.
He said the police had questioned 25 witnesses. The body of the prisoner killed in the brawl will immediately get an autopsy while the injured are undergoing medical treatment at Cilacap Regional General Hospital (RSUD).
Permisan warden Yan Rusmanto said Tumbur died on his way to a hospital after the clash.
“The clash is the culmination of growing hatred between the two groups. They have been enemies since they served their sentences at Batu Penitentiary. Their hostility remains after they were both trasnferred to Permisan,” said Yan.
The Nusakambangan prison island is home to convicts with sentences of more than five years. It has several penitentiaries around 3 to 5 kilometers apart. They are: Batu, Besi, Kembang Kuning, Narcotics, Permisan and Pasir Putih, which is a maximum-security prison.
Currently, there are around 1,500 convicts, including 70 convicted terrorists and 50 death-row inmates, serving their sentences on Nusakambangan prison island. (ebf)
On alert: Security guards step up their measures after a deadly clash between inmates convicted of terrorism and supporters of John Kei erupted on the Nusakambangan prison island on Nov. 7. (JP/Agus Maryono)
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Of legs and Pancasila: Two petitions battle it out over BLACKPINK ad
- Real Crazy Rich Asian wedding to cost $100 million
- Indonesia plans to make 30 percent biodiesel blend mandatory, studies B100
- Jakarta sinking fast: Experts
- Don’t panic: Indonesian ‘cendol’ different from Singaporean ‘cendol’
- 21 tons of trash flows into Jakarta Bay daily: Researcher
- Indonesia launches One Map Policy to resolve land conflicts
- Wika announces development contracts in 10 countries
- Shopee BLACKPINK commercial too salacious, KPI says