NU to discuss 18 key issues at national meeting
The Jakarta Post
Eighteen major national issues will be discussed at the national meeting (Munas) and major conference (Konbes) of Indonesia’s biggest Islamic organization, Nahdlatul Ulama, in Lombok, West Nusa Tenggara (NTB), from Thursday to Saturday.
The issues include the eradication of radicalism, the deradicalization of terrorists and support for people with disabilities. The use of media to spread “ideas that are not educating and tend to be partisan” will also be discussed at the meeting.
Munas NU organizing committee head Robikin Emhas said promoting the rights of people with disabilities was an interesting issue to be discussed, as NU considered Indonesia a country that was not disabled-friendly.
Few special facilities for disabled people are available in public areas across Indonesia. “At mosques, for instance, it is still quite difficult for disabled people to do the wudhu [ablution ritual]. NU wants to encourage all stakeholders to be more accommodating of people with disabilities,” said Robikin on the sidelines of the meeting.
President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo gave his remarks during the opening ceremony of the event at the NTB Islamic Center in Mataram at 2 p.m. on Thursday. Around 1,500 ulemas and NU officials are attending the national meeting.
Economic empowerment is another key issue to be discussed at the NU’s national meeting and conference in Lombok, as the NU sees a close connection between welfare and Indonesia’s successful effort to promote democracy and tolerance. (ebf)
- Warding off Lembu Sora’s curse at Mt. Kelud crater
- Militants attack Iran army parade killing civilians: state media
- New bombshell revives debate on Trump fitness for office
- Truck full of bodies draws Mexicans searching for relatives
- Top Muhammadiyah figure resigns as Jokowi’s special envoy
- Trump outburst over Kavanaugh's female accuser sparks hashtag trend
- First to red planet will become Martians: Canada astronaut
- Police probe new drug rape claims against US doctor, girlfriend
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- 'Cek Toko Sebelah' to be screened in Chinese cinemas