Buffalo meat import far exceeds set quota in 2017
The Jakarta Post
The State Logistics Agency’s (Bulog) procurement director, Andrianto Wahyu Adi, said in Jakarta over the weekend that the agency had obtained a permit from the Trade Ministry to import 100,000 tons of buffalo meat this year, exceeding the 2017 quota set by the government by 81 percent.
The government set an import quota of 55,000 tons in 2017.
The government has allowed more imports of buffalo meat in an attempt to push down the price of beef, he said, adding that the import would be carried out gradually, starting prior to Ramadhan.
“Currently, we are in the process of preparing tender documents,” he said, as quoted by kontan.co.id, adding that the increase in the import quota was based on last year’s demand, which had reached 6,000 to 7,000 tons per month.
Bulog needed two months to prepare the buffalo meat import until the commodity could arrive in Indonesia, he said, adding that 20,000 tons of buffalo meat would arrive prior to Ramadhan.
Meanwhile, Cattle and Buffalo Husbandry Association (PPSKI) head Teguh Boediyana criticized the government, saying the government’s insemination program had failed to increase the cattle population.
In 2014, Indonesia had succeeded in increasing the cattle population to 12.6 million, up 16 percent from the previous year, said Teguh, adding that since then, the cattle population had only grown by 4.7 percent in 2015, 3,7 percent in 2016 and another 3.7 percent in 2017. (bbn)
- Let them eat quinoa: Malaysian PM mocked for being out of touch
- Study to challenge claim Indonesia second-biggest marine polluter
- BREAKING: PDI-P officially endorses Jokowi for 2019 presidential election
- Two injured in Louisiana university shooting
- Katy Perry: Her vibes on Jakarta's energy
- Booking.com reveals most affordable months to travel
- Anies remains tight-lipped after being reported to police
- Turkey navy 'threatens force' against Italy drillship: Cyprus
- Kaum Jakarta named capital's restaurant of the year
- Baby lobster smugglers arrested