Jokowi urges patience with speculation rife over running mate
Marguerite Afra Sapiie
The Jakarta Post
President Joko "Jokowi" Widodo has called on all parties to stop speculating over who his running mate might be in the 2019 presidential election, saying that the process of determining eligibility needed to first conclude.
Jokowi said his administration was having discussions with political parties over issues concerning the criteria of possible vice-presidential candidates.
"[We] have not yet talked about names. So let's just wait," Jokowi told journalists on Tuesday.
Parties supporting Jokowi’s re-election bid next year are now looking for the right person to be paired with Jokowi. Several names have been mentioned as potential candidates, including Vice President Jusuf Kalla, Jokowi's running mate in the 2014 election.
Officials from the Indonesian Democratic Party of Struggle (PDI-P) seem to be divided over the issue, with one party official, Hasto Kristiyanto, saying it was impossible to nominate Kalla again. Another party official, Coordinating Human Development and Cultural Affairs Minister Puan Maharani, said the party was still determining whether Kalla was eligible to run.
When asked about a recent statement made by Kalla that many interpreted as indication he will not run -- the Vice President said Monday it was important to respect the term limits of the president and vice president -- Jokowi said such questions should be directed to Kalla himself.
In addition to the PDI-P, four other political parties -- the Golkar Party, the United Development Party (PPP), the Hanura Party and the NasDem Party -- have also endorsed Jokowi for the 2019 election. (ebf)
- Chinese tourists just can't get enough of Thailand
- Report unveils Muslim Cyber Army’s modus, purpose
- Japan condom makers hope for 2020 Olympic lift
- PRS admits to selling expired food
- LGBT people face uphill battle for rights
- Indonesia wins biodiesel antidumping case in EU appeal court
- WhatsApp co-founder says it’s about time Facebook was deleted
- Indonesia, Singapore jointly open Nongsa Digital Park in Batam
- Jakarta Police induct officers into new positions
- Indonesia to expand domestic biodiesel use