Seven still missing as rescuers stop search for landslide victims
The Jakarta Post
The joint search and rescue team has put an end to the search for landslide victims in Pasirpanjang village of Brebes regency, Central Java, after failing to find at least seven people believed to have been buried in the catastrophe.
The team had only managed to retrieve 11 bodies by Wednesday, after a full week of action.
“We made the decision, because it has been a week and the terrain is so difficult. Moreover, even if we find the bodies, they will be hard to identify,” Brebes Disaster Mitigation Office (BPBD) head Eko Andalas said on Wednesday.
The decision to stop the operation was also based on an agreement with the family members of the missing, he added.
The landslide that took place last week buried at least 18 people, according to reports from their families.
The victims were farmers working on their farmlands on the mountain slope, and some were also residents walking down the street. Strong rain in Brebes last week had made the highland area prone to landslides.
The joint search and rescue team comprised of personnel from the BPBD, the National Search and Rescue Agency (Basarnas), the Indonesian Military (TNI), police and local volunteers. (rin)
- North Sumatra's regent nabbed in antigraft operation
- 22 migrants missing off Morocco after boat capsizes
- Indonesia's latest economic stimulus package: What you need to know
- Republican urges conservatives to run against Trump in 2020
- Trump says doesn't want to hear 'suffering' Khashoggi tape
- 'Waria' told to leave their home in Jakarta amid anti-LGBT campaign
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Political parties clash over sharia-based bylaws
- Your next Uber ride may have a minifridge stocked with snacks
- Boeing ‘confident’ in 737 MAX safety despite aircraft flaw