Prosecutors demand 7 years for suspect in Cikupa persecution case
The Jakarta Post
Prosecutors of the Tangerang District Court have demanded a seven-year prison term for a neighborhood unit (RW) head who stands accused of initiating the persecution of a couple in Cikupa, Banten, last year.
Komaruddin, 44, has been charged with violating Article 29 of Law 44/2008 on pornography, as well as articles 170 and 335 of the Criminal Code (KUHP) on assault and indecent conduct, respectively.
Other defendants in the case are Iis Suparlan, also known as, Ocong, 32; Anwar Cahyadi, alias Jabrik, 42; Suhendang, also known as Anong, 41; and Nuryadi, 42.
Each faces four years in prison for allegedly violating articles 170 and 335 of the Criminal Code.
One defendant, Gunawan Saputra, 44, the community unit (RW) head, face two years imprisonment for allegedly violating article 351 and 335 of the Criminal Code
According prosecutor Rahmadi Seno, Komaruddin barged into the home of a Cikupa resident on Nov. 10 as she and her fiancé were just finishing dinner.
He then allegedly forced the couple out of the house while accusing them of having premarital sex.
“The RT head took [the victim’s] ID and cellphone and handed them over to Iis and another person,” Rahmadi said during the sentence demand as reported by tempo.co.
“Komaruddin then forced the couple to take their clothes off. This created a public spectacle.”
Iis and Anwar allegedly beat the male victim before parading him and his fiancé naked around the community.
While hitting the victim, Suhendang allegedly shouted: “This is the man who conducted immoral acts in our neighborhood.”
Nuryadi, meanwhile, reportedly encouraged the gathering crowd to “take a picture or video of him, just do it”.
Gunawan, who came last also allegedly took part in assaulting the couple.
Several days after the incident, the couple had a nikah siri (unregistered marriage) at the groom's house in Kadu Agung subdistrict, Banten, attended by relatives and local officials. (vny/iwa)
- 'Cek Toko Sebelah' to be screened in Chinese cinemas
- US court rules for Colorado 'intersex' veteran denied passport
- US sanctions Chinese military unit for buying Russian jets, missiles
- Groups welcome Jokowi’s palm plantation moratorium
- Jokowi imposes moratorium on palm oil plantations
- Saudi woman's case against father stirs 'guardianship' debate
- Land owners unseal 46 schools after promise to hire them as civil servants
- Russia warns US it is 'playing with fire' with sanctions
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- BTS to appear on ‘America’s Got Talent’