Prabowo tells Gerinda's rank and file to be patient
Karina Maharani Tehusijarana and Margareth S. Aritonang
The Jakarta Post
Gerindra Party chairman Prabowo Subianto said he was ready to run for president in 2019, in a speech at his residence in Hambalang, West Java, on Wednesday, but added that his presidential bid was dependent on support from other parties.
"As long as I am able to fight and as long as I have the trust of the Gerindra Party, I am ready to carry out whatever task is assigned by the Gerindra Party," he said during the opening of the party's national coordination meeting, according to a Gerindra politician who was present.
"With all my energy, body and soul, if the Gerindra Party orders me to run in the upcoming presidential election, I am ready to carry out that task," he said to the applause of Gerindra members in attendance.
"Please be patient, I said 'if'," he said. "Let us wait until this meeting is over. There is one condition: I need the support of friendly parties."
A press release issued by Gerindra secretary-general Ahmad Muzani stated that the party's 34 provincial branches had officially declared Prabowo the party's presidential candidate.
However, deputy secretary-general Andre Rosiade denied that any official decision had been made as of Wednesday afternoon.
"The meeting is ongoing; only 10 provincial branches have spoken," he told The Jakarta Post.
Over the past few weeks, Prabowo has seemed to hesitate over whether to run against President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo in the 2019 presidential election.
Gerindra has also appeared split on the matter, with some members insisting on Prabowo, while others seem open to other options.
The General Elections Commission (KPU) will open registration for presidential candidates in August. (ahw)
- Obama dancing in Kenya sends world aflutter
- Russian tourist allegedly gang-raped in India
- Malaysia issues arrest warrants for ex-1MDB executives
- Thailand's cave boys wake up at home for first time in weeks
- Rapes and beatings: The torments of South Korea's young athletes
- Indonesia sees 7 brutal animal killings in 2018
- Joey Alexander’s new music video showcases the beauty of Bali
- Russian 'agent' held on charges of seeking to infiltrate US govt
- BMKG warns of high waves around Lombok
- Prabowo visits Yudhoyono in hospital