11 killed as truck crashes into houses, vehicles in Brebes
The Jakarta Post
A truck has crashed into houses along the Tegal-Purwokerto road in Bumiayu district, Brebes, Central Java, when the vehicle failed to brake at around 4:30 p.m. on Sunday. Eleven people were killed in the incident and dozens injured.
The truck, which was carrying sugar, had departed from Purwokerto and was bound for Jakarta. The truck driver suddenly lost control of his vehicle when he entered the village of Jatisawit, hitting houses, motorcycles and cars along the road.
"We suspect that the brake pedal was broken," Brebes Police traffic unit chief First Insp. Budi Supartoyo said on Sunday, as quoted by tribunnews.com.
Supartoyo said the driver had attempted to prevent the accident by turning the wheel sharply to the left but the truck had kept going. It then hit a car, 13 motorcycles and seven houses. The truck driver is reportedly in a coma after suffering serious injuries. (hol/ebf)
- 'Cek Toko Sebelah' to be screened in Chinese cinemas
- US court rules for Colorado 'intersex' veteran denied passport
- US sanctions Chinese military unit for buying Russian jets, missiles
- Groups welcome Jokowi’s palm plantation moratorium
- Saudi woman's case against father stirs 'guardianship' debate
- Jokowi imposes moratorium on palm oil plantations
- Russia warns US it is 'playing with fire' with sanctions
- Land owners unseal 46 schools after promise to hire them as civil servants
- Vietnamese President Tran Dai Quang dead at 61: State media
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world