11 killed as truck crashes into houses, vehicles in Brebes
The Jakarta Post
A truck has crashed into houses along the Tegal-Purwokerto road in Bumiayu district, Brebes, Central Java, when the vehicle failed to brake at around 4:30 p.m. on Sunday. Eleven people were killed in the incident and dozens injured.
The truck, which was carrying sugar, had departed from Purwokerto and was bound for Jakarta. The truck driver suddenly lost control of his vehicle when he entered the village of Jatisawit, hitting houses, motorcycles and cars along the road.
"We suspect that the brake pedal was broken," Brebes Police traffic unit chief First Insp. Budi Supartoyo said on Sunday, as quoted by tribunnews.com.
Supartoyo said the driver had attempted to prevent the accident by turning the wheel sharply to the left but the truck had kept going. It then hit a car, 13 motorcycles and seven houses. The truck driver is reportedly in a coma after suffering serious injuries. (hol/ebf)
- North Sumatra's regent nabbed in antigraft operation
- 'Waria' told to leave their home in Jakarta amid anti-LGBT campaign
- 22 migrants missing off Morocco after boat capsizes
- Indonesia's latest economic stimulus package: What you need to know
- 'Moral panic' targets Indonesia's LGBT community
- Boeing ‘confident’ in 737 MAX safety despite aircraft flaw
- Christian school rumor leads to closure of vocational academy in Batam
- Trump says doesn't want to hear 'suffering' Khashoggi tape
- Republican urges conservatives to run against Trump in 2020
- Govt looks to private employees to fill public jobs after 90 percent of applican...