Please Update your browser

Your browser is out of date, and may not be compatible with our website. A list of the most popular web browsers can be found below.
Just click on the icons to get to the download page.

Jakarta Post
The Jakarta Post
Video Weather icon 30°C
DKI Jakarta, Indonesia
weather-icon
30°C Partly Cloudy

Dry and mostly cloudy throughout the day.

  • weather-icon

    Wed

    26℃ - 32℃

  • weather-icon

    Thu

    25℃ - 32℃

  • weather-icon

    Fri

    25℃ - 31℃

  • weather-icon

    Sat

    26℃ - 30℃

After Pacquiao loss, ex-WBA champ Matthysse calls time on career

  • News Desk

    Agence France-Presse

Buenos Aires, Argentina | Fri, August 3, 2018 | 08:20 am
After Pacquiao loss, ex-WBA champ Matthysse calls time on career Argentina's Lucas Matthysse reacts after he was knocked down by Philippines' Manny Pacquiao during their world welterweight boxing championship bout at Axiata Arena in Kuala Lumpur on July 15, 2018. Mohd RASFAN / AFP (AFP/Mohd Rasfan)

Just two weeks after a punishing knockout loss to Filipino great Manny Pacquiao, Argentine former WBA welterweight champion Lucas Matthysse announced his retirement on Thursday.

"Today I decided to hang up the gloves, another stage in my life is beginning," said the 35-year-old Matthysse, who ends his 43-fight career with a record of 38 wins, 36 inside the distance, for just five defeats and one no contest.

Matthysse's last fight was a seventh round stoppage loss to Pacquiao in Kuala Lumpur, in which the previously explosive Argentine looked past his best.

"Pacquiao is a great boxer, I lost to a legend," he said.

"I'm proud to have stayed at the top for 10 years fighting the best in the world."

He won the WBA welterweight title in January with an eighth round knockout of Thailand's Tewa Kiram.

He previously held the interim WBC super-lightweight title but was narrowly beaten by American Danny Garcia in Las Vegas in 2013 when challenging for the full strap.

Join the discussions