BREAKING: Jokowi number 1, Prabowo number 2 on ballot
Marguerite Afra Sapiie and Nurul Fitri Ramadhani
The Jakarta Post
President Joko "Jokowi" Widodo and his running mate Muslim cleric Ma'ruf Amin got number 1, while challenger Prabowo Subianto and Sandiaga Uno got number 2.
The numbers were set in a draw at the General Elections Commission (KPU) on Friday night.
Before Jokowi picked the pair’s number, Ma'ruf initiated a prayer that later got Prabowo and Sandiaga to pray along.
Jokowi and Ma'ruf are backed by nine political parties, including the ruling Indonesian Democratic Party of Struggle (PDI-P) and the Golkar Party, while the Prabowo-Sandiaga pair is backed by the Gerindra Party, the Prosperous Justice Party (PKS), the National Mandate Party (PAN) and the Democratic Party.
The number will shape the campaign motto and slogans of each candidate.
In the 2014 presidential election, Prabowo and then-running mate Hatta Rajasa drew number 1, while Jokowi and Jusuf Kalla drew number two.
The latter pair managed to make the number two an exemplary part of their successful 2014 presidential election campaign, especially with the popular jingle "Salam Dua Jari" (Two Finger Salute).
- President Trump, thank you for not attending ASEAN summit
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Teenagers boil sanitary pads to get high
- JT610 victim's bride takes wedding photo shoot without groom
- Government to issue new regulation on coal permits
- Indonesia to free Bali Nine drug smuggler Lawrence: Official
- US pilots say Boeing didn’t warn of 737 feature tied to crash
- Garuda to reopen Jakarta-London route
- ASEAN’s priority: China
- Lippo's Karawaci flooded, Pejaten Village catches fire