Depok mob assaults man falsely accused of kidnapping
The Jakarta Post
A mob beat a man who was falsely accused of kidnapping a child on Sunday in Cilodong district Depok, West Java, before military personnel rescued the man and took him to the nearest police station.
Akhmad Khotib, 45, was falsely accused of kidnapping an infant, but which turned out to be a cat, Depok Police spokesperson Adj. Comr. Firdaus said on Monday.
“If residents come across any suspicious activity, please report it to the police. Don’t be a vigilante,” Firdaus said as quoted by kompas.com. He added that Akhmad was unable to communicate clearly with the police on the chronology of the incident, due to the severity of his injuries.
The incident comes after several hoaxes claiming rampant cases of kidnapping became widespread on social media.
The police later confirmed that information on the "abductions" were fake. (fac)
- Jokowi’s surprise for Korea
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Semen Indonesia acquires Holcim Indonesia
- Palm oil waste-fueled generators produce electricity in Kutai
- Merpati escapes bankruptcy, but no guarantee it will fly again
- Sexual harassment victim ordered to start prison sentence next week
- Teenagers boil sanitary pads to get high
- Prabowo plans Singapore-like taxes for Indonesia
- Bank Indonesia hikes rate to 6 percent
- Lion Air passengers change planes because of broken AC