The Jakarta Post
Communication and Information Minister Tifatul Sembiring was criticized for not requesting that Google remove a terrorist video that has been provoking Indonesian Muslims to join the cause of the Islamic State of Iraq and Levant (ISIL), also known as the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS).
Helmy Fauzi, a lawmaker on House of Representatives Commission I on communication and information, said the ministry had not blocked the propaganda video to join ISIS that was uploaded on YouTube because there had been no formal complaint.
'Why always be heavy-handed about pornographic content but sluggish on terrorism and religion-based radicalism?' Helmy from the Indonesian Democratic Party of Struggle (PDI-P) was quoted as asking by Antara news agency on Monday.
Helmy said that the ministry should be proactive in efforts to prevent acts of terrorism by monitoring websites, accounts and videos that could become tools for terrorists and radical groups in spreading propaganda.
'There's no need to wait for complaints about websites or social media channels that can endanger national interests,' he said.
Previously, media reports revealed that Communication and Information Ministry spokesman Ismail Cawidu said the ministry could not block the video encouraging people to join ISIS because other institutions first needed to issue a formal complaint. (put/hak)
Your premium period will expire in 0 day(s)close x