Despite the financial issues that PLN is facing, the state-owned electricity firm has said it will not delay any of its plant auctions allocated for the government's ambitious 35,000-megawatt electricity project.
A letter by Finance Minister Sri Mulyani to PLN, which was leaked to the press last month, highlighted PLN’s financial risk and that it is currently saddled with Rp 296 trillion (US$22.9 billion) in debt amid its effort to finish the 10,000-megawatt projects.
PLN corporate planning director Syofvi Felienty Roekman said they would proceed with their auction plans as scheduled, even though she did not elaborate on how many auctions were left this year and whether they would be for fossil or renewable energy-based plants.
"We will still go on with the auctions," Syofvi said on the sidelines of a PLN exhibition at the firm’s headquarters in Jakarta on Tuesday. "However, there will be adjustments to the targets for the auctions."
She also brushed off concerns about other delays in PLN's work, but said that the firm would nevertheless take the country's energy usage into account. "Everything is still within our electricity procurement business plan, but we will review it according to the growth of Indonesia's energy use," she added. (ags)