Sutiyoso determined for a 2014 presidential bid
The Jakarta Post
DENPASAR: Chairman of the Indonesian Justice and Unity Party (PKPI), Sutiyoso, says he will run for the presidency in the 2014 elections if his party is able to achieve the 2.5 percent parliamentary threshold.
"We have enough time to garner support to meet the parliamentary threshold," he said when meeting party members in Bali on Sunday.
Sutiyoso is a retired Army lieutenant general and a former governor of Jakarta.
Sutiyoso said he did not anticipate any problems in meeting the 2.5 percent threshold, but conceded it would be more difficult if a collaboration of major political parties managed to increase the threshold to 5 percent.
"If we fail to meet the threshold I would be too ashamed to run for president," he said as quoted by Antara. - JP
- Protesters put pressure on Metro TV, Kompas TV over ‘biased reporting’
- Islamic religious texts must be read in context to understand blasphemy
- 8 arrested on treason charges ahead of rally
- LIVE REPORT: Anti-Ahok rally
- Hard for Ahok to bounce back: Expert
- N. Sumatra governor fires official after intimidation from angry anti-Ahok crowd
- Thousands of worshipers flock to Monas for anti-Ahok gathering
- Singer Ahmad Dhani, activists declared treason suspects
- C.Java protesters demand Ahok’s immediate incarceration
- Government urged to control flood of textile imports from China