What to become of native Betawi culture?
The Jakarta Post
As Jakarta moves at a frenetic pace toward modernization, native Betawi culture plays an important role in providing a much-needed identity for the metropolitan.
An expert on local culture, Yasmine Zaky Shahab of the University of Indonesia, said that currently the native Betawi culture did not only belong to the natives of the city, but “immigrants” who had adopted it.
- Christie's to auction rare watch once owned by Egyptian king
- Freeport has cost $13 billion losses in environmental damage, says BPK
- Tax office eyes 14m taxpayers' annual reports this year
- Canned sardines contaminated with thread worms, BPOM confirms
- E-cigarettes more likely to get people started on smoking: Study
- Brunei, Indonesia work on new hybrid paddy varieties
- Piles of trash continue to flow onto Tangerang shore
- Marine personnel rebuild roads, houses ahead of naval exercises
- PDI-P strengthens ties with Golkar
- Jakarta to see medium rain but remain hot during equinox