What to become of native Betawi culture?
The Jakarta Post
As Jakarta moves at a frenetic pace toward modernization, native Betawi culture plays an important role in providing a much-needed identity for the metropolitan.
An expert on local culture, Yasmine Zaky Shahab of the University of Indonesia, said that currently the native Betawi culture did not only belong to the natives of the city, but “immigrants” who had adopted it.
- Planning to travel this Ramadhan? Try these Muslim-friendly apps
- Dugong sellers thwarted in West Sulawesi
- List of moderate Islamic preachers needed: Scholar
- Malaysian playboy financier in cross-hairs after poll upset
- Japan keeps word, gifts Akita dog to Russian skater Zagitova
- US warns Syria of 'firm' action over southern offensive
- Indian child killer sentenced to death 23 days after arrest, raises fears over t...
- China gives airlines extension on one-nation rule for Taiwan
- Two Koreas’ leaders hold second summit: Cheong Wa Dae
- China to host Iranian president amid nuclear deal doubt