Tangerang goes hi-tech in traffic
The Jakarta Post
TANGERANG: In a bid to reduce congestion at city intersections, the Tangerang municipal administration plans to use new technology in traffic light management.
“With the new technology, called the Intelligent Transport System (ITS), long lines of vehicles at intersections can be handled on a real-time basis,” Gatot Suprianto, head of the Tangerang Transportation Agency said on Thursday.
The new technology uses a closed-circuit camera that would respond to conditions at any given intersection.
“Our study shows the new technology could reduce the rate of congestion by 30 percent,” he said.
Like many other cities in the country, Tangerang currently applies the Multi Program Eight Phase System technology for traffic light management, technology that many cities have started phasing out.
“We hope the new technology will be operational next year,” he said.
Tangerang municipality currently has 17 intersections prone to traffic congestion with the Multi Program Eight Phase System. — JP
- Convenient confusion: Indonesia's incorporation of international law
- Indonesia up 15 places in Ease of Doing Business index
- Jessica prepared for Thursday's verdict
- Indonesia-Australia continue to strengthen cooperation: Bishop
- Govt to allow nickel ore, bauxite exports under new rules
- Leessang’s Kang Gary to leave ‘Running Man’
- Govt foils attempts to smuggle Rp 33.15b worth lobster seeds
- Jokowi set to open Interpol conference in Bali next month
- Green facility launched to promote economy, achieves climate targets
- Customs catch three vessels smuggling shallots from Malaysia