Prison for ‘Minang atheist’
Syofiardi Bachyul Jb
The Jakarta Post
In what critics have condemned as a precedent that may harm free speech and individual liberty, a court in West Sumatra sentenced on Thursday Alexander Aan, 32, to two-and-a-half years in prison for blasphemy and publicly declaring himself an atheist.
The Muaro District Court in Sijunjung regency also fined Alexander Rp 100 million (US$11,100), or face another two months in prison.
- Saudi Arabia's jailed trailblazers
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- US Navy planning new camps to support immigration crackdown: Report
- Suspected terrorist shot dead in Pamanukan for resisting arrest
- Rain puts out forest fire on Mt Lawu
- Indonesia poised to benefit as China's Belt and Road turns green
- Cuba to get ready for same sex marriage: Castro daughter
- Jakpost guide to bookworm havens
- India offers free e-visa for Indonesians
- Civilian appointed as temporary N. Sumatra governor