Prison for ‘Minang atheist’
Syofiardi Bachyul Jb
The Jakarta Post
In what critics have condemned as a precedent that may harm free speech and individual liberty, a court in West Sumatra sentenced on Thursday Alexander Aan, 32, to two-and-a-half years in prison for blasphemy and publicly declaring himself an atheist.
The Muaro District Court in Sijunjung regency also fined Alexander Rp 100 million (US$11,100), or face another two months in prison.
- Election bill passed, presidential threshold intact
- Demian's 'buried alive Judge Cuts act' YouTube Trending
- Collusion reappears between Jakarta Council, administration after Ahok’s departure: Expert
- Election law should not exist: Expert
- Mahathir defends his treatment of Anwar in 1998
- Railway director general removed from office
- Philippine bank executive arrested for fraud
- ASEAN a success story of integration
- Indonesian Police crack down on massive distribution of bogus premium rice
- Fisherman found hanged in tree in North Jakarta