Prison for ‘Minang atheist’
Syofiardi Bachyul Jb
The Jakarta Post
In what critics have condemned as a precedent that may harm free speech and individual liberty, a court in West Sumatra sentenced on Thursday Alexander Aan, 32, to two-and-a-half years in prison for blasphemy and publicly declaring himself an atheist.
The Muaro District Court in Sijunjung regency also fined Alexander Rp 100 million (US$11,100), or face another two months in prison.
- EDITORIAL: Facing the EU palm oil policy
- Driver who dragged police officer across busway lane arrested
- BREAKING: Strong 6.4 earthquake hits Banten, no tsunami warning
- Sanctuary for prowlers, yowlers
- Agency head ready for questioning on assault report
- Jakarta Planetarium to host public lunar eclipse observation on Jan 31
- Quake causes minor damage at airport, Depok City Hall
- Depok men arrested for allegedly uploading sex video
- Auction lowered price of industrial sugar, Trade Ministry says
- 8.2 magnitude quake hits off coast of Alaska: USGS