Prison for ‘Minang atheist’
Syofiardi Bachyul Jb
The Jakarta Post
In what critics have condemned as a precedent that may harm free speech and individual liberty, a court in West Sumatra sentenced on Thursday Alexander Aan, 32, to two-and-a-half years in prison for blasphemy and publicly declaring himself an atheist.
The Muaro District Court in Sijunjung regency also fined Alexander Rp 100 million (US$11,100), or face another two months in prison.
- Some countries buying Russian gear deserve sanctions waivers: Mattis
- Student allegedly paralyzed after being told to do 120 jump squats as punishment
- Thousands protest Australia's refugee detention policy
- Too ugly, too smelly: Jakarta covers up ‘Black River’ for Asian Games
- Jakpost guide to Pasar Modern Bintaro
- Jambi girl imprisoned for abortion after being raped by brother
- This is why you’re sweating during sleep
- Russian tourist allegedly gang-raped in India
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- 5.4 magnitude quake hits Solok, kills one