Aceh teen’s suicide linked to sharia practice
The Jakarta Post
The apparent suicide of a teenage girl in Aceh should prompt officials to rethink harsh penalties imposed by sharia, a member of the National Commission on Violence against Women (Komnas Perempuan) says.
The dead girl, identified as 16-year-old PE, was at a concert in Langsa, Aceh, on Sept. 3 when sharia police apprehended her during a raid and harangued her in public for allegedly engaging...
- Telkomsel website hacked
- Lame-duck Ahok sees mounting defiance
- Long marches against Ahok to continue
- KPK says it will stick to rules over investigation confidentiality
- Elephant kills tour owner in Klungkung
- KPK summons Quran procurement graft suspect
- US economic growth weakened to 0.7 percent in first quarter
- Sharp Indonesia introduces new 12kg capacity washing machines
- Golkar says corrupt cadres harm political targets
- Private lender CIMB Niaga sees Q1 net profit soar 138 percent