Thousands swarm streets of Tangerang for rare festival
The Jakarta Post
Business in Tangerang, Banten, almost came to a halt on Saturday, as thousands thronged the city’s main roads for a parade to honor Kwan Im, the Buddhist goddess of mercy and one of the four great bodhisattvas in China.
From early in the morning, people from all walks of life and many religions flocked to witness the spectacle, which is held once every 12 years.
Performances of tra...
- After stunning growth streak, Amazon ambitions seem boundless
- No instruction to bar Anies from pitch: Palace
- Romeo the lonesome frog is feelin' the love
- Fidel Castro is not Trudeau's real father: Canadian govt
- 'Do not test Israel', Netanyahu tells Iran, brandishing drone 'piece'
- Philippines says in talks with China for joint sea exploration
- Daddy Yankee gets the world dancing again with viral song
- Enjoying legendary 'Jenang' in Surakarta
- Seeking post-Brexit unity, EU leaders find more fights
- Saudi women to start own busines without male permission