Thousands swarm streets of Tangerang for rare festival
The Jakarta Post
Business in Tangerang, Banten, almost came to a halt on Saturday, as thousands thronged the city’s main roads for a parade to honor Kwan Im, the Buddhist goddess of mercy and one of the four great bodhisattvas in China.
From early in the morning, people from all walks of life and many religions flocked to witness the spectacle, which is held once every 12 years.
Performances of tra...
- Environment minister responds to President’s criticism
- Essay: Losing my religion
- 1.2 million drug abusers live in Jakarta
- Ministry seizes Jakarta’s party bus
- Don’t make us get nothing: Speaker on Jakarta councilors’ allowance increase
- House lawmaker supports rupiah redenomination
- North Korean celebrity's homecoming: Happy to be home or was she kidnapped?
- Don’t scare investors away, Jokowi tells ministers
- Bikers banned from new Semanggi Interchange because of selfie fears
- Minister Susi rejects idea to auction off confiscated fishing boats