Comments: Iran confiscates Buddha statues from shops
The Jakarta Post
Feb. 17, Online/AP
Buddha statues have joined Barbie dolls and characters from The Simpsons TV show as banned items in the conservative Muslim nation.
The Iranian authorities are confiscating Buddha statues from shops in the capital, Tehran, to stop the promotion of Buddhism in the country, according to a report on Sunday in the independent Arman daily.
Good grief, don’t these fanatics know any history? Ignorance is a very dangerous thing!
The danger of these oppressive actions is that many people who have seriously considered becoming Muslims will turn to more humane, gentler beliefs, or, instead of embracing a religion, prefer to lead spiritual lives.
Cultural invasion? Buddhism was a living religion in Persia before the birth of the Prophet Muhammad and Persian Buddhists helped the spread of the religion in China.
- Grassroots war on rabies
- Good nutrition entails safe drinking water
- Award-winning comedy series ‘Silicon Valley’ returns for season 3
- Rationality, deficit in democracy
- Jokowi meets with German President, discusses death penalty
- Repair harm done to Jakarta Bay, fishermen demand
- Indonesia to learn vocational education from Germany: Minister
- 1965 victims: We don’t want communism, just reconciliation
- Cold rice balls, no flush toilets at quake-hit Japan shelter
- NU calls on govt. to reveal truth behind 1965 tragedy