Comments: Iran confiscates Buddha statues from shops
The Jakarta Post
Feb. 17, Online/AP
Buddha statues have joined Barbie dolls and characters from The Simpsons TV show as banned items in the conservative Muslim nation.
The Iranian authorities are confiscating Buddha statues from shops in the capital, Tehran, to stop the promotion of Buddhism in the country, according to a report on Sunday in the independent Arman daily.
Good grief, don’t these fanatics know any history? Ignorance is a very dangerous thing!
The danger of these oppressive actions is that many people who have seriously considered becoming Muslims will turn to more humane, gentler beliefs, or, instead of embracing a religion, prefer to lead spiritual lives.
Cultural invasion? Buddhism was a living religion in Persia before the birth of the Prophet Muhammad and Persian Buddhists helped the spread of the religion in China.
- BREAKING NEWS: Judges sentence Jessica to 20 years in prison
- Seeking true happiness through meditation
- Judges find Jessica guilty despite lack of eyewitnesses
- Guilty or not, Jessica to face verdict
- Indonesia brings home Miss Grand International 2016 title
- Ahok sets Jakarta minimum wage at Rp 3.35m
- 'I don't accept the verdict': Jessica
- Judges ignored testimonies from defense witnesses: Lawyer
- Indonesia, Australia team up to track extremist returnees
- It’s getting easier to do business in Indonesia: Report