‘Premanisme’, a root cause for violence in Yogyakarta
The Jakarta Post
As Yogyakarta develops and becomes Indonesia’s second most-popular tourist destination after Bali, the city that is dubbed the heart of Javanese culture is also witnessing its service sector growing, as can be seen in the emergence of numerous nightspots.
Such nightspots have led to the birth of private security services, referred to as preman (thugs) or premanisme (thuggery).
- Bandung terrorist suspect was 'recidivist': Police
- Egypt puts off higher entry visa charges until July 1
- Indonesia prepares company to manage Freeport
- Anies, Ahok to face off in second round: KPU Jakarta
- Rihanna is named Harvard University Humanitarian of the Year
- Jokowi’s visit to Australia achieves concrete results: Minister
- Indonesia can embrace clean energy amid cheaper renewables, says UK climate envoy
- Financial authority launches banking regulation digital library
- Bandung civil servants recount terror attack
- Ten truly remote places where your boss can’t track you down