RI ready to enter AEC 2015: SBY
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta Post
President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono said that he would make sure of the readiness of Indonesia to welcome the ASEAN Economic Community (AEC) in 2015.
'You ought not to say that 'we're not ready'. Stop complaining that 'we are not ready yet'. Let's do something together,' he told a press conference in Bandar Seri Begawan, Brunei Darussalam, on Friday, as quoted by Antara news agency.
The President said that he would immediately set up a committee to ensure the readiness of Indonesia for welcoming the AEC in 2015.
He said that he had given an assignment to Coordinating Economic Minister Hatta Rajasa to establish the committee.
The committee will include representatives with a wide variety of backgrounds, starting from the state government, local administration, businessmen, labor unions and experts. The committee will identify, among others things, industrial sectors that are still needed to be enhanced ahead of the implementation of the AEC 2015. It is hoped that during 2.5 years, any shortcoming in the industrial sectors can be improved.
Yudhoyono believes that the AEC could improve the economy in the region.
The integrated economy could also increase the mobility of capital, human resources, and goods and services in the region.
The President said Indonesia should be able to take more benefits from the integrated economy.
'Indonesia should not be 'the loser'. We have to be 'the winner',' he said.
The AEC, popularly known as the ASEAN single market, was created to integrate the economies of the region. For the summit in 2015, AEC has prepared a blueprint that focuses on the establishment of a single market and production base, a highly competitive economic region, a region with equitable development, and a region that is fully integrated with the global economy. (nai/ebf)
You might also like :
- Jokowi inaugurates new Cabinet ministers
- Surakarta's 100-year-old palace wall collapses
- Celine Dion's Jakarta concert ticket price reaches Rp 25m
- EDITORIAL: Speak out Mr. Speaker
- AirAsia to move international flight operations to Soekarno-Hatta Terminal 3
- Samsung launches Galaxy A8, A8+ for millennials
- Don't blame me if Trump not invited to royal wedding: May
- Thai general in the spotlight over luxury watches collection
- Lazada to implement e-payment gateway system this year
- New Air Force chief to prioritize procurement of jet fighters