Answer Sheet: In the name of ukulele
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta Post
Answer Sheet is a three piece band from Yogyakarta that celebrates endeavors of Hawaiian style of music.
Ukulele is their focal arsenal and simplicity is their tone.
The trio consists of Ogi and Rebet on ukulele and new member Abi on bass, they have just released their debut album Chapter I: Istas Promenade.
The album itself is a concept album, in which follows the life of Istas, an imaginary character that lives in a parallel world. All songs in the album are about Istas' journey.
'In the middle of recording, we realized that the songs we are working on are correlated in one big story. So, it's halfway natural to have it as a concept album,' says Ogi who also takes responsibility to lead the group on live performances.
'Istas follows similar life phases like us, like growing up, chasing dreams, and facing problems. He then becomes older and wiser,' tells Rebet.
Ogi says Istas has life filled with joy, sadness and crossroads. 'The word 'promenade' on the album's title represents his view on life, which he sees as a walk on a promenade. He doesn't run in life, he just walks,' he says.
Shaping up on ukulele with some breezy touch from keyboards, guitar, xylophone and other simple instruments, Answer Sheet brings laid back mood in its folk sound.
At its best, the trio lives up the enjoyable and relaxing Hawaiian music that often plays on beaches or any tropical setting.
'For me, ukulele is just like love at the first strum. Its sound is so warm and this instrument has changed my life,' says Ogi.
Recently, Answer Sheet just did a small tour to support the release its new album by visiting big cities outside their hometown.
Last week, they did a few gigs in Jakarta. One of them is playing at one of indie scene's finest, 'Superbad'.
Chapter I: Istas Promenade is out now on Paperlane Records and some bits of Answer Sheet is available on Soundcloud.com/AnswerSheet or, they can also be reached on Twitter.com/answer_sheet.
' Felix Dass
*) At a Glimpse is all about the local music scene. Give us a shout at [email protected] Also, become our friend on facebook.com/sundayglimpse and follow us on twitter.com/sundayglimpse.
You might also like :
- A father’s love: Wiranto explains why his daughter wears niqab
- Ed Sheeran on BTS: ‘I think they are great’
- 6 kg of garbage found in dead whale's stomach in Wakatobi
- Indonesia's latest economic stimulus package: What you need to know
- Foreign investors allowed to own 100% shares in 25 business units
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- BLACKPINK’s Jennie sets records with ‘Solo’ videos
- Afghan refugees stage protest in Medan, asking to be sent to Oz, US
- Whale shark seen in Jakarta Bay
- Indonesia mosques spreading radicalism to government workers: Official