WWF delighted by moratorium extension
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta Post
World Wildlife Fund (WWF) Indonesia has welcomed the issuance of President Instruction (Inpres) No.6/2013 which continues the forestry moratorium for the next two years.
WWF Indonesia's CEO Efransjah appreciated President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono's policy to improve forest and peatland management in efforts to reduce greenhouse gas emissions from deforestation and forest degradation.
'The most important thing is the need to set clear work targets, including to create a single, unified forest map; to accelerate the completion of spatial planning bylaws in areas targeted by the moratorium; and to synchronize the central and local government regulations on natural resource management,' said Efransjah in a statement made available to The Jakarta Post on Wednesday.
The moratorium prohibits new exploitation permits for primary forests and peat lands in conservation forests, protected forests and production forests. The moratorium will also apply to other forest areas included in the new indicative moratorium map.
WWF Indonesia's director for conservation, Nazir Foead, said the extension was a chance for continuous improvement in forestry licensing, including permits on forest leases and the use of wood forest products taken from natural forests.
'We will support Inpres 6/2013 by monitoring implementation in the field,' said Nazir. (ebf)
You might also like :
- Indonesian magician The Sacred Riana is crowned winner of Asia's Got Talent Season 2
- In first, SpaceX launches recycled rocket and spaceship
- Yogyakarta airport developers warned not to ‘steal’ people’s land
- 2 killed, 7 injured in Java quake: Agency
- Foundation documents culinary heritage via smartphone app
- Police arrest doctor for alleged hate speech against TNI chief
- Jakarta transportation operators to rejuvenate fleets
- H&M says to close more stores as customers go online
- Oil and gas lifting to fall slightly short of target
- Saudi women will also be allowed to drive motorcycles