Soldatenkaffee closed due to media pressure
The Jakarta Post
Henry Mulyana, a 35-year-old entrepreneur who owns the Soldatenkaffee cafe, says he has no choice but to close his business due to intense media pressure.
Henry opened his cafÃ©, which offers a variety of dishes in 2011, and since then it has continued to receive a lot of media attention because of Nazi decoration and symbols on the front of the cafÃ©'s building.
'As an ordinary person, I don't understand about the pressure. Many people outside have taunted me with vile language. I cannot say anything. After harsh statements were published in online media, I immediately closed my cafÃ©,' he said in a press conference in Bandung, West Java, on Saturday.
Henry said he was very confused and felt depressed.
The red and black-colored cafÃ© interior is already clear of all Nazi-themed decoration. There are no posters, pictures, or images of German soldiers from the Second World War.
Previously, Henry had hung a Nazi flag with a Swastika symbol in the middle on the wall. Several images and pictures of the Nazi leader, Adolf Hitler, were also scattered throughout the cafÃ©'s walls. Nazi party symbols and regalia also hung on the wall. Only a sign saying 'Soldatenkaffee-der Kommandantur Gross' is left.
Henry said his cafÃ© had a pop culture theme. 'It used a Second World War theme from the German side; but, it should be noted that it is art, not ideology or even extremism or racism,' he said.
The Bandung administration had sent a summoning letter to Hendry. 'We want to know what is his actual purpose is,' said Deputy Bandung Mayor Ayi Vivananda. (ebf)
You might also like :
- Obama arrives in Bali
- Media mogul declared intimidation suspect
- Indonesia's Jangkrik field’s first LNG cargo delivered
- Australia sends spy planes to south Philippines
- Former US president Obama to arrive on Bali this afternoon
- Australian citizen denied entry to Bali due to criminal record
- Property developer sees potential to build office buildings for startups in Bali
- Indonesia's upstream projects proposed for strategic project list
- No extravagant ceremony to welcome Obama: Official
- Online drivers choose to stay in Jakarta to earn more cash