Police, FBI join forces to investigate Vahey
Yuliasri Perdani and Corry Elyda
The Jakarta Post
The National Police will hold a meeting with US Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) representatives on Monday next week to discuss a child molestation case implicating former Jakarta International School (JIS) teacher William James Vahey.
Vahey, who committed suicide in March following an FBI investigation in his alleged pedophile activities, had worked as a teacher in various private schools in a number of countries, including Indonesia, for four decades.
The FBI unearthed dozens of photographs of at least 90 of Vahey's alleged victims - dated 2008 - and encouraged other victims to file reports.
The police's general crimes investigation deputy director, Sr. Comr. Toni Hermanto, said on Wednesday that the meeting was intended to trace Vahey's activities while teaching at the school.
'According to the FBI, he taught at JIS between 1992 and 2002. On Monday, the FBI will confirm on that,' he said in Jakarta.
Separately, JIS head of school Timothy Carr pledged the school would fully cooperate to support the FBI's investigation.
'We have already contacted them [the FBI] and tomorrow we will be hosting a meeting with our alumni, as well, to talk about the case,' he said during his visit to The Jakarta Post on Wednesday.
Carr added that none of JIS' alumni had filed reports on possible sexual assaults committed by Vahey.
Besides the Vahey case, JIS is in the spotlight following a rape investigation involving its kindergarten pupil and several cleaning staff.
You might also like :
- Anies wants FPI to improve its image
- Tourist boat capsizes in Thousand Islands
- Korean national named suspect in fatal car crash
- Sports ministers of Indonesia, Malaysia settle flag incident
- RI awaits official KL apology on SEA Games 'flag incident’: Sports minister
- Ministry to prioritize infrastructure in four sectors in 2018
- Indonesian Achievements Festival to recognize 72 'Icons'
- Apple under pressure to dazzle as market slows
- Jakarta to host ASEAN 50 Parade
- Choosing the right English language measurement tool