National scene: 100 state bodies to be dissolved
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta Post
Presidential chief of staff Luhut Binsar Pandjaitan revealed on Thursday that the government will disband 100 state institutions to increase efficiency.
Luhut, who also serves as coordinating political, legal and security affairs minister, said that the functions of the institutions will be transferred to related ministries or other government bodies.
'There are about 100 institutions that may be dissolved because they have no clear task,' said Luhut on Thursday.
The retired army general and former businessman said that President Joko 'Jokowi' Widodo had earlier dismissed 10 institutions for the same reason.
However, according to him the Presidential Office, which he currently leads, is not part of the downsizing plan.
As part of a recent Cabinet shake-up, Luhut has taken over the ministerial post once occupied by NasDem Party politician Tedjo Edhy Purdjiatno.
Jokowi has ordered Luhut to keep his old post at the Presidential Office as Jokowi is still considering what to do with the office.
Vice President Jusuf Kalla and politicians from the ruling Indonesian Democratic Party of Struggle (PDI-P) have suggested the office be put under the Cabinet Secretariat.
Kalla also confirmed the plan to disband the state bodies on Thursday.
You might also like :
- Engineers union to analyze cause of IDX collapsed floor
- Indonesia's foreign debt stands at $347.3b, 34% of GDP
- Indonesia, Turkey team up to develop military drones
- Virtual reality, interactive avatars among cruise trends of 2018
- Virgin Galactic takes one step forward in space tourism
- Mother allegedly kills her baby at restaurant
- Voldemort film now available for free on YouTube
- Police issue second summons for Sandiaga
- IDX Tower 2 never been renovated: Management
- Man refuses bicycle prize from President Jokowi