House to form special team to revise terrorism laws
The Jakarta Post
The House of Representatives will establish a special committee to revise terrorism laws to give law enforcement institutions stronger authority to take action in anticipation of terrorist attacks.
The decision was taken in the House's deliberative body meeting on Thursday.
"We agreed to debate the antiterrorism law amendment in the House's special committee," House deputy speaker Agus Hermanto told reporters after the meeting.
However, lawmakers from House Commission I overseeing legal affairs, defense and security issues and Commission III overseeing law and human rights suggested those commissions should take the lead in the amendment process.
The government plans to amend the Law No. 15/2003 on the Eradication of Terrorism and Law No. 9/2013 on the Prevention and Eradication of Antiterrorist Financing.
The amendment plan has been listed as one of the priority bills in the 2016 National Legislation Program. The House has 40 prioritized bills in the program, which it plans to pass this year.
The additional powers that the revision seeks to provide includes the extension of detention period of people suspected of planning terrorist attacks, even if the police haven't officially named them as suspects. Law enforcement institutions have also requested the authority to prevent radical preaching. (bbn)(+)
You might also like :
- Obama’s Bali trip includes museum visit, rice terraces, rafting adventure
- 7-Eleven loses steam due to alcohol ban, tight margin: Business group
- Pakistan marks grim Eid after oil tanker inferno kills 153
- As maids enjoy 'mudik,' Greater Jakarta families stay at hotels
- Medan attack perpetrators want to steal weapons for next terrorist operations: Police
- Jokowi enjoys 'mudik' to Surakarta for Idul Fitri
- N. Jakarta officials improve data to pave way for Anies's OK-OCE program
- Malaysian PM commences five-day vacation in Bali
- Medan Police attackers linked to IS: Police
- Jokowi praised for meeting with opposition Muslim organization during Idul Fitri