Jokowi calls for unity for reconciliation in Palestine
The Jakarta Post
President Joko 'Jokowi' Widodo has called on all Organization of the Islamic Cooperation (OIC) member countries to unite in an effort to carry out reconciliation in Palestine.
The President reminded that the OIC was established to support the struggle of the Palestinian people. The OIC has to be a part of the solution and not a part of the problem, he went on.
Jokowi made the call in his remarks during the OIC Extraordinary Summit at the Jakarta Convention Center in Senayan, Central Jakarta, on Monday.
In the beginning of his speech, President Jokowi quoted the late president Sukarno, who asserted that as long as Palestine had not achieved its independence, Indonesia would continue to fight against Israel's occupation of Palestine.
'We, the Indonesian nation, are consistent with our promises. Today, Indonesia is standing up together with other OIC member countries to continue the unfinished struggle,' said Jokowi.
The President further said the world was apprehensive about the worsening situation in Palestine. There are many illegal and unilateral policies there, and Israel's collective punishment has caused greater difficulties for the Palestinian people, he went on.
Jokowi also expressed his concern about the limited access of Muslims to Al-Aqsa Mosque in Jerusalem. He said the Palestinian people were becoming more powerless, adding that the humanitarian situation in occupied territories has continued to worsen.
'We must jointly face the situation; we have to fight it together. For the struggle, unity is needed. We have to unite, Palestine must unite, Palestine must carry out reconciliation. Indonesia is ready to help the reconciliation process,' said Jokowi. (ebf)
You might also like :
- Rapper defiantly stares at eclipse, cancels shows
- No flight attendants in bikinis for Vietjet’s upcoming route
- Indonesian firm to construct coal port in Vietnam
- Nike bazaar ends in chaos on Tuesday
- Russia offers nuke power to Indonesia
- Indonesia needs to realize its sharia economy potential
- All Germany's gold returned from French vaults
- Indonesian research productivity lacking: LIPI
- Almonds help rid body of bad cholesterol
- EDITORIAL: Dualistic authorities in Batam