Damri buses to serve airport-hotel routes
The Jakarta Post
The Transportation Ministry will deploy state-owned public transportation operator PT Damri buses to serve routes between Soekarno-Hatta International Airport in Tangerang and major hotels in Jakarta as part of an effort to encourage airplane passengers to use public transportation.
Soekarno-Hatta, which is already one of the world’s busiest airports, will be even busier soon after the opening of Terminal 3 Ultimate on June 20, Greater Jakarta Transportation Agency head Elly Adriani Sinaga said as reported by kompas.com on Thursday.
“In many of the world’s cities, it is common for buses to serve passengers to and from airports. But here, they are served by taxis,” she said, adding that so far Damri had transported nearly eight million passengers from Soekarno-Hatta airport to several points in Jakarta and its satellite cities.
Private bus operators that also offer services from the airport are Agra Mas, Hiba Utama, Primajasa, Sinar Jaya, and Megah Langgeng, but with limited routes.
Damri’s safety and service director Gede Pasek Suardika said his company was currently in the process of deploying more buses from the airport to try to encourage people to not use their private cars to reduce traffic congestion.
So far, he added, his company was only allowed to serve passengers from the airport to bus terminals that are inconvenient for airplane passengers with large baggage.
The plan for the expanded routes will be finished late this month and implemented soon, said Gede, adding that in the future, buses would also pass shopping malls, train stations and bus terminals.
Damri currently serves five routes from the airport. They are:
Soekarno-Hatta airport - JW Marriott Hotel - Manhattan Hotel - Park Lane Jakarta -Hotel Grand Melia.
Soekarno-Hatta airport -Hotel Mulia, Ritz-Carlton Hotel- Crowne Plaza.
Soekarno-Hatta airport - Intercontinental Mid Plaza - Sahid Jaya Jakarta - Le Meridien Hotel - Four Seasons Hotel - Hotel Shangri-La.
Soekarno-Hatta airport - Grand Hyatt Jakarta, Hotel Kempinski, Hotel Sari Pan Pacific -Hotel Milenium.
Soekarno-Hatta airport - Hotel Borobudur -Hotel Arya Duta Tugu Tani - Hotel Alila. (bbn)
You might also like :
- Japan to offer e-visa to tourists starting April 2020
- Meikarta graft case: KPK searches residence of Lippo Group CEO James Riady
- For the sake of integrity
- Indonesia’s competitiveness improves, but still well below Singapore, Malaysia
- IMF chief postpones Middle East trip with Saudi stop
- Movie star Chow Yun-fat to give entire fortune to charity
- Arsonist sentenced to 24 years for Texas mosque burning
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Lippo Group executive arrested in Meikarta bribery case
- Fan Bingbing spotted for first time in months, outside Beijing airport