Atut voices support for son in Banten election race
The Jakarta Post
Corruption convict and former Banten governor Ratu Atut Chosiyah has given her blessings to her son, Golkar Party politician Andika Hazrumy, to run as a deputy governor candidate in the 2017 Banten gubernatorial election.
Andika, who will pair with the Democratic Party's Wahidin Halim in the election, has several times visited his mother at the Tangerang female penitentiary. Atut is serving seven years in prison for corruption, Atut's Islamic teacher Mul said on Monday.
Atut also expressed her support for Wahidin to run for the position of governor, saying he had the capability to lead Tangerang for two terms.
"Wahidin and Rano Karno have a place in her heart. But of the two figures, only Wahidin visited her in prison. From that she believes Wahidin can guide Andika to develop Banten together," Mul said, quoting Atut, as reported by tempo.co.
He was referring to the current Banten governor, who was Atut's deputy prior to her corruption conviction.
Atut and Rano defeated Wahidin and Irna Narulita Dimyati in the Banten election in 2013.
Four political parties — the Democrats, Golkar, Prosperous Justice Party (PKS) and Hanura Party — have declared their support for Wahidin and Andika, who are both members of the House of Representatives.
Atut is part of a notorious political dynasty in Banten controlled by the family of prominent local figure Tubagus Chasan Sochib. Despite an image tarnished by corruption cases, the dynasty remains strong, with family members holding top positions in the local administration as well as on legislative councils throughout the province. (rin)
You might also like :
- North Sumatra's regent nabbed in antigraft operation
- 'Waria' told to leave their home in Jakarta amid anti-LGBT campaign
- Govt looks to private employees to fill public jobs after 90 percent of applican...
- 'Moral panic' targets Indonesia's LGBT community
- Boeing ‘confident’ in 737 MAX safety despite aircraft flaw
- Christian school rumor leads to closure of vocational academy in Batam
- From Chanel to Gucci: Korean women turn into designer rent-a-holics
- Okky Madasari unearths hidden tales of Indonesia in 'Mata' series
- Indonesia's latest economic stimulus package: What you need to know
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world