Group supports referendum for West Papua
The Jakarta Post
Persistent oppression and discrimination as well as cultural and historical differences are sufficient reasons for Papuan people to decide their own fate through a referendum, an alliance has said.
The Indonesian People’s Front for West Papua (FRI-West Papua), consisting of non-Papuan Indonesian activists and intellectuals, was established as a form of solidarity from non-Papuans regarding the constant oppression suffered by Papuan activists who have fought for independence.
"There is no happiness for Papuans as long as they are part of Indonesia," the alliance’s spokesperson, Surya Anta, said in a press conference held at the Jakarta Legal Aid Institute (LBH) on Tuesday.
Surya said ongoing efforts from the government, such as giving special autonomy to the country’s easternmost region, had not eliminated military oppression or the destruction of natural resources.
He said the group believed the only solution for Papua was to be able to exercise the right to determine whether to part ways with or remain part of Indonesia.
He claimed that an exercise of the right to self-determination for Papuans through an act of free choice (Pepera) in 1969 was invalid because only 1,022 individuals were involved in the plebiscite, less than 0.2 percent of the population.
"Moreover, they [Papuan people] were put under pressure to express their concerns about integrating with Indonesia," Surya added. (fac/jun)
You might also like :
- Scientists may have found a cause of dyslexia
- Google Maps expands solar system feature
- Army planned to overthrow Sukarno in 1965: US declassified files
- Malaysian actor jailed for 11 years for smuggling meth to Medan
- Indonesia, Qatar to set up business council
- 3 killed, two wounded in Maryland shooting, gunman flees
- Philippine woman who died in S. Jakarta known as a lecturer
- Commentary: The 'non-pribumi' Anies Baswedan is my governor now
- Ed Sheeran cancels Asia tour dates after cycling accident
- Kalla rejects idea of police anticorruption squad