Police warn of growing role of women in terrorism
Margareth S. Aritonang
The Jakarta Post
National Police Chief Gen. Tito Karnavian said Friday that terrorist groups have developed a new trend of recruiting women to launch attacks in the country.
“Using women to carry out acts of terror is becoming increasingly more popular with terror groups because women are seen as less suspicious,” Tito told the press on the sidelines of a ceremony at the National Police headquarters in South Jakarta, adding that recruiting women for terrorism was not new in other parts of the world.
The National Police have arrested three women that have been implicated in a foiled plot to bomb the State Palace. The women include Dian Yulia Novi, Tutin, alias Ummu Abza, and Arinda Putri. They are suspects for their roles in planning and preparing for the thwarted attack.
The three women are affiliated with the Surakarta terrorist cell, which was reportedly planning to attack the State Palace under the guidance of Bahrun Naim, an Indonesian jihadist who is currently fighting for the Islamic State in Syria.
National Police Spokesperson Insp. Gen. Boy Rafli Amar said that the police had anticipated involvement of women in terrorist groups in the the country but did not expect that women would take on direct and core roles in planning attacks.
“Terrorist groups here are recruiting women to avoid suspicion when carrying out attacks. It’s a new strategy to deceive the targets,” Boy said. (dmr)
You might also like :
- Tito suspects JAD terror group behind N. Sumatra police post attacks
- Political, polygamy messages take center stage in some Idul Fitri speeches
- World Bank lauds Indonesia’s fiscal framework
- Sri Mulyani marks Idul Fitri with slip of tongue
- GNPF-MUI seeks to ease tension with President during Idul Fitri meet
- In Malang, church allows Muslims to use lawn for Idul Fitri prayers
- Jakarta Cathedral cancels three morning masses for Idul Fitri prayer
- MPR speaker entertains guests with political jokes, conversation
- Indonesia condemns Mecca suicide bomb attempt
- Locals thrilled to share Idul Fitri with Jokowi's mother