Zoos to be standardized to combat animal abuse
Hans Nicholas Jong
The Jakarta Post
The government plans to standardize all zoos and conservation institutions in the country following a series of reports of animal abuse at several zoos.
Environment and Forestry Minister Siti Nurbaya Bakar said standardization would be stipulated in a ministerial regulation that was being prepared.
“Because [if there’s no standardization], it could create problems, such as those at Surabaya Zoo and Bandung Zoo. These zoos have been criticized by the community,” she said in Banjarmasin, South Kalimantan, on Saturday.
Siti was referring to mismanagement plaguing the Surabaya and Bandung zoos.
(Read also: Plastic found in Surabaya zoo's giraffe stomach)
Surabaya Zoo attracted local and international attention in 2012 following the death of many its animals. In one example, up to 20 kilograms of plastic was found in the stomach of a giraffe named Kliwon that was found dead in its enclosure.
In response to the problem, an online petition calling for the zoo's closure was soon initiated and obtained more than 100,000 signatures.
Bandung Zoo, meanwhile, is being widely criticized following a video on YouTube showing sun bears at the zoo apparently begging visitors for food.
The same zoo came under fire last year when a Sumatran elephant, Yani, died after being sick for a week without receiving proper medical treatment. The zoo at the time did not have an in-house vet. (evi)
You might also like :
- Anger at Singapore ads offering Indonesian maids for sale
- ‘I’m just ordinary man now’: Setya collects debts from friends to pay restitutio...
- Car hits pedestrians outside UK mosque in suspected hate crime
- Indonesia exports religious take on family planning
- BTS to appear on ‘America’s Got Talent’
- Woodward's Trump book sells 1.1 million in first week
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Balinale set to return with award-winning movies, guests
- Instant Noodle Longform
- Sri Lanka train kills mother elephant, two calves