SBY demands state’s neutrality in elections
The Jakarta Post
Democratic Party chairman and former president Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono has demanded neutrality of the state in the 2018 regional elections as well as the 2019 legislative and presidential elections.
Yudhoyono highlighted that the state’s bias toward certain groups in the elections would taint the elections and democracy in the country. “The Democratic Party really hopes the state will be neutral and fair in arranging the elections,” he said.
“Democracy will be tainted if state institutions, including BIN [State Intelligence Agency], [National Police] and the TNI [Indonesian Military] are not neutral and unfair. Please remember that they have made their vows to God,” Yudhoyono said addressing his party’s national gathering in Mataram, West Nusa Tenggara, on Monday.
Yudhoyono further commented on the country’s democracy, which he said was far from perfect and needed continuous improvement. “The breath of democracy is freedom. Thus, let’s preserve freedom. Don’t restrict freedom. However, the Democratic Party disagrees with uncontrollable, unethical and irresponsible freedom.”
In his speech, Yudhoyono also raised concerns about friction in society, which he said emerged during the Jakarta gubernatorial election.
“The nation is divided because of the Jakarta election. We must seriously resolve this,” he said.
Yudhoyono also said that the party has yet to name candidates for the 2019 presidential election. (msa/wit)
- Obama arrives in Bali
- Media mogul declared intimidation suspect
- Indonesia's Jangkrik field’s first LNG cargo delivered
- Australia sends spy planes to south Philippines
- Former US president Obama to arrive on Bali this afternoon
- Australian citizen denied entry to Bali due to criminal record
- Property developer sees potential to build office buildings for startups in Bali
- Indonesia's upstream projects proposed for strategic project list
- No extravagant ceremony to welcome Obama: Official
- Online drivers choose to stay in Jakarta to earn more cash