Djarot appointed as Jakarta acting governor following Ahok's detention
The Jakarta Post
Home Minister Tjahjo Kumolo appointed Jakarta Deputy Governor Djarot Saiful Hidayat acting governor of Jakarta at City Hall on Tuesday afternoon.
The appointment was made immediately after Jakarta Governor Basuki "Ahok" Tjahaja Purnama was detained when the North Jakarta District Court found him guilt of blaspheming Islam and sentenced him to two years in jail.
In his speech, Tjahjo said that the purpose of the appointment was to prevent a power vacuum from forming in the city administration.
"The [central] government hopes that Djarot will continue the development of the national strategic projects that are located in the capital," he said.
Tjahjo added that Djarot would hold the position until a higher court overturns Ahok's conviction or sentence, should that happen, or until "the end of current administration's period, which will end in October."
When pressed for more details, he refused to make further comments.
“Let's get to work first,” Tjahjo said. (kuk)
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Jakarta sinking fast: Experts
- Of legs and Pancasila: Two petitions battle it out over BLACKPINK ad
- Lotte Chemical Indonesia begins construction of plant in Cilegon
- Don’t panic: Indonesian ‘cendol’ different from Singaporean ‘cendol’
- Prabowo answers all your burning questions in his little blue book
- Jokowi stresses tolerance at cultural congress conclusion
- TNI denies explosive use during rescue after Papua shootings
- Low deficits and fiscal prudence
- Tips to help you brew better coffee at home