City to expand motorcycle ban on Jakarta thoroughfares
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta administration and city police are decided on barring motorcycles from entering the city’s main thoroughfares – Jl. Sudirman, Jl. Gatot Subroto and Jl. Rasuna Said – in an attempt to reduce traffic congestion in the capital.
A meeting between city officials on June 7 concluded about the need to ban motorcycles from the three main streets, which run through the business district in Central Jakarta, Senayan in South Jakarta and Cawang in East Jakarta, said the head of law enforcement with the Jakarta Police traffic unit, Adj. Sr. Comr. Budiyanto.
Under a policy that has been in place since December 2014, motorcycles are currently not allowed to use two other main streets in the capital, Jl. MH Thamrin and Jl. Medan Merdeka Barat in Central Jakarta.
Yet, it remains unclear when the authorities will start to impose the ban, pending another meeting to discuss implementation of the ban.
“We have yet to establish the legal umbrella and regulation on it. We are going to hold another meeting to discuss further about it,” Budiyanto said on Monday, declining provide details on the plan.
An odd-even license plate traffic policy is also implemented on the main thoroughfares, but some deem it inadequate in easing the crippling traffic in the capital.
“[Under the plan] free feeder buses will be arranged to accommodate motorcycle drivers who wish to enter the thoroughfares. Meanwhile, they can park their motorcycles in the nearest parking lot,” Budiyanto added. (ipa)
- Anger at Singapore ads offering Indonesian maids for sale
- US sanctions Chinese military unit for buying Russian jets, missiles
- US court rules for Colorado 'intersex' veteran denied passport
- Jokowi imposes moratorium on palm oil plantations
- Creator of 3-D printed guns flies to Taiwan amid US sex assault accusation
- Balinale set to return with award-winning movies, guests
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- BTS to appear on ‘America’s Got Talent’
- Groups welcome Jokowi’s palm plantation moratorium
- Tourism Ministry declares five dishes national food