Dancing water fountain to dance again on Saturday night
Ivany Atina Arbi
The Jakarta Post
It is confirmed! The dancing water fountain at the National Monument (Monas) will enliven the city once again on Saturday night after ceasing operations around a decade ago.
Monas management head Sabdo Kurnianto told The Jakarta Post on Friday that Jakarta Governor Djarot Saiful Hidayat would attend the inauguration at 7 p.m. at the Monas compound in Gambir, Central Jakarta.
“Yes, it is true [that the dancing fountain will be inaugurated on Saturday night],” Sabdo said. The renovation of the fountain, which was once so popular that it inspired a song composition by dangdut musician Rhoma Irama, was initiated by former governor Basuki “Ahok” Tjahaja Purnama.
Ahok disbursed around Rp 200 million (US$15,000) of his own money to repair the broken water fountain. The total funds needed for the repair work was around Rp 400 million (US$29944). Other concerned individuals, including Djarot himself, also set aside their money for the fountain’s renovation.
Well-known Indonesian composer Addie MS also contributed to the project to enliven Monas by composing songs to accompany the dancing waters.
By repairing the dancing fountain, Sabdo was optimistic that the number of visitors to Monas would double or even triple. The average number of visitors currently stands at around 3,000 to 4,000 daily, on weekdays. During weekends, the figure can reach up to 12,000 people.
- Let them eat quinoa: Malaysian PM mocked for being out of touch
- Study to challenge claim Indonesia second-biggest marine polluter
- BREAKING: PDI-P officially endorses Jokowi for 2019 presidential election
- Booking.com reveals most affordable months to travel
- Katy Perry: Her vibes on Jakarta's energy
- Anies remains tight-lipped after being reported to police
- Two injured in Louisiana university shooting
- Turkey navy 'threatens force' against Italy drillship: Cyprus
- In one tweet, Kylie Jenner wiped out $1.3 billion of Snap’s market value
- Kaum Jakarta named capital's restaurant of the year